Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Walleye Message Central - View Single Post - trailer pulls hard
View Single Post
Old 02-21-2012, 11:47 AM
Keeper

Default thanks

thanks for all the replies. Seems sto be a lot of common sense.

I'll try covering it and see if that helps. HRG-I do remove the windshields on the hwy but my boat is still 5-8" above the tailgate (no topper). your setup looks smaller and more areodynamic. esp. with the cover on the boat.

As far as the truck..... It's a max tow pkg, 6spd, 3.73. 4th gear? never. 5th gear up hill, 6th on the flats/downs. The trucks rated for almost 11,000 lbs. (10,400-10,800 don't remember exactly) I don't think that's the problem.

What's the best way to check alignment? tape measure to the rims? what if it's off? sledge hammer? new axle?

What about the guys with experience with tandom and single axles with same truck/similar boat. How much harder do the tandoms typically pull?

I'll try-

Tarp/cover
Max tire pressure
Level trailer

Hopefully that makes a difference.

Otherwise, I have a gut feeling the guys who say "that's about right" I'm afraid you may be right. I hoped for better though.

We took my dad's 1990 hydrostream (20' glass bassboat, Musky boat) to canada last year, heavy'ish boat, 3 guys lots of gear/food/etc.. His crewmax toyota got 14mpg with a tailwind on the way up and 12.5 avg of the 2500 mile drive.... His gears are 4.30's.... I think that helps a lot.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0487.jpg
Views:	279
Size:	496.9 KB
ID:	13829  

Last edited by Nosebleed; 02-21-2012 at 11:53 AM.