Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Walleye Message Central - View Single Post - Pro Kicker dead spot off idle...
View Single Post
Old 03-08-2017, 01:26 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSO_Fishing View Post
Did a little tank testing of my "new to me" 2012 9.9 Merc Pro Kicker today and found a "dead spot" just a bit off idle.

I have controls at the helm and when I bump the throttle lever up slowly, the engine RPM increases, then hits a wall. (Not sure what SOG would be as I have yet to get this boat wet.)

A little more careful bumping of the lever and the RPM increase more than what seems the throttle advancement should produce. A tach here would be a GREAT asset!

I've removed the brass plug over the mixture screw and played around a bit with that, but no joy. There's still that dead spot.

Does this carb need a rebuild? Replacement? Maybe the bore or intake track needs refinishing or polishing? Maybe a mod is in order?

Looking for clues to make this lil' guy run smooth through total throttle range before picking up a electronic throttle control.

Any words of wisdom?

How many hours are on this motor (approx), and how long since the last use? It may just need a simple tuneup done on it.

I would also throw a tiny tach on it as well, autozone or napa will have them for less than $40. See what really is going on with the rpms.