Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Walleye Message Central - View Single Post - 150 optimax and pro xs hp difference
View Single Post
Old 10-20-2010, 10:51 AM
Wallhanger

Default Motor Rating

The normal test procedure runs the motor thru its entire rpm range- and your competitors are allowed to witness the test and results- and protest them if warranted. If the horsepower has not peaked and then dropped off, then they will increase the rpm until it does drop off- thereby making sure no one claims a lower rating range to slip in a ringer. This has been true since the 1950s, when Carl Kiekhaefer tried to slip his KF and KG series Mercs thru the old BIA rating methods. Mr. K claimed that the KG-4 was 7.5 hp at 4000 rpm, it was actually 12 hp at around 5200 rpm. The KG-7 was rated at 10 hp at 4000 rpm, and put out around 16 hp at 5200. The BIA refused to certify his engine ratings, so for a number of years Merc rated their engines with notes like "hp is 10+, and horsepower varies with rpm". I have a 1951 KG-4 in my basement- rated at 7.5+ horsepower. On my 14 ft Starcraft open utility it runs around 21 mph, and my 2001 Merc 15 runs around 24. Under the present rating system the old KG-4 would be right around 12 hp.

As for the carbon fiber reeds vs the fiberglass reeds- they are both composite materials subject to delamination over time and I would still suggest checking the warranty from Merc to see if they cover the reeds if they fail early. When the aircraft makers built the F-117 Fighter and the B-2 Bomber everyone raved about the carbon fiber- which is just a graphite/epoxy resin mix vs. fiberglass with polyester resin. But now the F-17 and the B-2 are going thru some mods- because of delamination of the wonder material. Early graphite fishing rods had the same issue. Its not a big deal as long as you know what you're buying into.....
Doug