Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Walleye Message Central - View Single Post - Anyone ever use plastic like boards instead of wood boards for bunks?
View Single Post
Old 09-26-2011, 06:29 PM
Minnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawker View Post
That looks good MacCTD!! Like REW, I'm kinda curious what the cost was to do that job? I've priced out the Ultimate boards for my existing trailer and its over $400 so I'm kinda curious in regards? Again though, very nice looking job you did!!!

The outer bunks are 3' 8" the center bunks are 10' 8". I replaced them with pressure treated 2X4s and new galvanized hardware. I filled the top bolt holes with silicone after tightening them down.
I ordered .5" Starboard pre cut to 3.5" width in 54" lengths, the longest you can ship without paying an oversize fee. I ordered it from Cesany plastics, http://www.yachtwindows.com/ I have ordered a lot of Starboard from them over the years, always good pricing and fast shipping.
I was not sure what type of screws to use, I looked around and found some 305 stainless deck screws, guaranteed not to corrode and any environment. I had to countersink the heads but you cannot buy a countersink bit with the right shank angle for deck screws so after I predrilled all the holes I used a drill bit the same size as the screw head diameter, I did a couple test holes and had a problem with the drill being pulled into the Starboard, I only wanted to go in a little more than .125" I used a scrap 2X4 and adjusted the drill bit in the drill so it only protruded the amount I wanted to drill, worked great. I used 10 screws in each smaller bunk and 30 in each larger bunk.
Cost was $90 for the Starboard, $30 for the 2X4s, screws and silicone and a couple hours time.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	resessed.JPG
Views:	292
Size:	111.9 KB
ID:	11856   Click image for larger version

Name:	silcone.JPG
Views:	263
Size:	96.4 KB
ID:	11857   Click image for larger version

Name:	screws.JPG
Views:	263