Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Walleye Message Central - View Single Post - Home Grown Tackle:The Wonderful World of Jig's
View Single Post
Old 12-05-2011, 10:39 AM
Charter Member

What can drive many of us to pour our own jigs is that the conventional wisdom (mindset) of the commercial world appears to be that fishermen need a larger hook as the weight increases; conversely that the hook size must be smaller as the weight decreases. I am led to believe this is a factor of manufacturing pour-ability /satisfactory yield, that it just results in larger batch usability (sell-ability).

I frequently prefer a large hook size on smaller, lighter heads, because smaller heads are not always used for small fish, but slower sinking is sometimes desired. To create even lighter heads with size 1- 3/0,4/0 hooks, I melt tin rather than lead. It works very well and the result is a light weight with a somewhat larger profile, and a slower sinking presentation. When fishing deeper water, I use a sinker 2' above the jig to get it down to the bottom, and awareness of same.

Some minor modification of a mold may be required to achieve the described desired end result.

Bill Krejca