Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video
Global Warming & Cool/Cold Water Fish - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > Strictly Fishing

Old 09-02-2010, 12:28 PM
Keeper

Default Global Warming & Cool/Cold Water Fish

The extreme heat is adversely affecting walleye and northern pike populations in the shallow reservoirs I typically fish in Ohio. Without cool water retreats, these fish have been stressed to the limit and seem to be decreasing in numbers. Because these are my two favorite species to pursue, it concerns me that continued increases in global temperature will eventually wipe out these fish in my home waters. I know that some individuals do not believe in global warming, but here in Ohio, the average temperature is increasing each year. Maybe I'll have to take trips in the future to catch walleye and pike. Or maybe I'll only fish for bass and crappies. Nah...
Old 09-02-2010, 12:32 PM
Wallhanger

In-Fisherman, surprisingly, talks about this quite a bit. The general consensus is that the walleye range is going to be pushed quite a bit further north over the next couple decades.

The big plus side, if there is one, is that the smallmouth fishing on those waters will improve considerably as they become the dominant predator.

We see it here in central MN too, we have a lot of lakes with the Tulibee die offs each summer as the water gets to warm.

Glad I'm not a lake trout.
Old 09-02-2010, 12:50 PM
Wallhanger

I am not gonna chime in on our collective undebatable debate, but let's be sure all the chips are on the table. In many, if not most, midwestern, southern and western 'bodies of water' walleyes and saugeye have been introduced by man over the years. These bodies really shouldn't be considered within the 'natural range' North American walleye range. It is unfortunate this this happening in your Ohio water.

If walleyes begin to get boiled out of the Great Lakes, then we will have bigger problems than wondering where to go fishing next.
Old 09-02-2010, 01:51 PM
Wallhanger

Default Charts & graphs?

You say the average temperature in Ohio is increasing every year. I'd like to know what the increase is. Do you happen to have any links to a chart detailing this information?

Quote from Rob Olson
Delta Waterfowl President
Old 09-02-2010, 02:43 PM
Keeper

Smile Check Out What The Climatologists Have To Say...

phowler: I'm sure you have heard of google and bing. You'll find all the climatologist supported data you need using these search engines. I'll help you get started by directing you to the following as an example:
blog.cleveland.com/metro/2009/02/clevelandarea_nighttime_temper.html
Old 09-02-2010, 03:08 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Wolf View Post
phowler: I'm sure you have heard of google and bing. You'll find all the climatologist supported data you need using these search engines. I'll help you get started by directing you to the following as an example:
blog.cleveland.com/metro/2009/02/clevelandarea_nighttime_temper.html
As a matter of fact I googled Ohio weather history and found nothing that showed the average temp. over the past decade or so. Your link is leading me nowhere & thanks but no, I don't want to read what any climatologist has to say. Climatologists have been "saying" things for years, much of which has been proven to be misleading if not down right false.

I'm not disputing your claim that the average temp. in Ohio has risen the past few years, I'm simply asking for a chart showing exactly what the average temp. has been.

Quote from Rob Olson
Delta Waterfowl President
Old 09-02-2010, 12:47 PM
Keeper

Default Global Warming & Cool/Cold Water Fish

The extreme heat is adversely affecting walleye and northern pike populations in the shallow reservoirs I typically fish in Ohio. Without cool water retreats, these fish have been stressed to the limit and seem to be decreasing in numbers. Because these are my two favorite species to pursue, it concerns me that continued increases in global temperature will eventually wipe out these fish in my home waters. I know that some individuals do not believe in global warming, but here in Ohio, the average temperature is increasing each year. Maybe I'll have to take trips in the future to catch walleye and pike. Or maybe I'll only fish for bass and crappies. Nah...
Old 09-02-2010, 01:27 PM
Wallhanger

I also live in Ohio. Almost every inland lake in Ohio is stocked with walleye so what fish you are catching has been put there by the state for the most part and Ohio doesn't really have a fishable pike population. A few lakes have them yes but they aren't stocked and Ohio isn't a state that is suitable for them because our waters aren't suitable for them...consider yourself lucky when you do catch them. Unless your some ninja pike fisheman that has figured something out that nobody else has in Ohio...if so I'd love to hear about it. They are catching them in the rivers still (cuyahoga below kent) those rivers have to be 85 degrees?!

Do you have a point? Or just letting people know how you feel about our hot summer.

But yeah you are right...this summer has been a scorcher.
Old 09-02-2010, 03:05 PM
Keeper

Smile Weren't You Paying Attention?

K Gonefishin: I thought the point was fairly obvious if you read the post. I'm referring to much more than the hot summer we're having. Global warming threatens to wipe out populations of cool to cold water fish in places where they previously thrived. Contrary to what's listed, there are some excellent pike fishing opportunities in Ohio, if you know where to look. I just don't know if I'm ready to share them with you. Since you ask, I have been featured in a past issue of In-Fisherman magazine as an "Ohio Pike" fisherman, so I have figured a few things out.

Last edited by Water Wolf; 09-02-2010 at 03:09 PM.
Old 09-02-2010, 03:19 PM
Keeper

Heck, I didn't know Ohio had an inland lake.