Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video
Your Opinion! - Are the Glory Years of Walleye Tournament Fishing Past? - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > Tournament Message Board

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 06-23-2011, 05:29 PM
GM GM is offline
Minnow
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: .
Posts: 54
Question Your Opinion! - Are the Glory Years of Walleye Tournament Fishing Past?

Just wondering what your opinions are.

Walleye Tournament fishing has seem to taken a downturn in recent years. Look at participation and coverage on TV.

Obviously the economy hurt sponsorship which effected tournament backing and the economy also effects how individuals decide to spend the money they have left after essentials but there was always excitement waiting for the new PWT season and watching how the coverage improved over the years. I always bought the season tournament tapes and got to know the old and new pros as well. Plus having a magazine like the Walleye In-sider covering tournaments and techniques in detail was cutting edge for the time. Everything in the industry was being developed/improved each year from boats to motors to electronics to equipment. Everyone was absorbing new techniques being developed that were winning tournaments.

Then when the FLW entered giving large 6 figure payouts for pros and co anglers it almost seemed like walleye tournaments were going to the next level like Bass tournaments.

What do you think are some of the reasons for the cool down on participating and following of walleye tournamnts?

Do you think the best years are now behind us?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #2  
Old 06-23-2011, 07:10 PM
Bill T
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default I think so

I think things are on a down turn. But will struggle back in the next few years. But only with One main event and its FLW from what I can see. They have it all and sadly AIM may go to the bone yard. I like the idea but we may not be ready for it. And with 30 team per event even the sponsors will see the issues. Got to have interest and its just not there. Hope I am wrong but think not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #3  
Old 06-23-2011, 09:31 PM
Robert M Robert M is offline
Wallhanger
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: .
Posts: 1,189
Default

Untill the economy turns around and who knows when that will be I dont see much improvement in anything. I think there will still be enough interest and participants for 1 major walleye tournament tour but not sure if 2 can make it in these times.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #4  
Old 06-23-2011, 09:34 PM
teamlund's Avatar
teamlund teamlund is offline
Wallhanger
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: kimberly Wisconsin
Posts: 2,611
Default

all done...... There will still be a small segment of large tounreys for advertising sake but with fuel and boat prices the way they are I think its just about done.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #5  
Old 06-24-2011, 05:40 AM
thump55 thump55 is online now
Wallhanger
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: WI
Posts: 1,796
Default I've said it for years.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamlund View Post
all done...... There will still be a small segment of large tounreys for advertising sake but with fuel and boat prices the way they are I think its just about done.
Here's something that's interesting to me. The biggest tournament on the Winnebago system is NOT the Merc Nationals or Otter Street or the MWC or the FLW or AIM or any bass tournament. Not even close.

The biggest tournament on the system is the "Battle on Bago" ice fishing tournament. Why is it so big? Because they pay out down to 300th place (not every spot of course) and anyone feels they have a chance to win at least something.

Apply a similar approach to open water tournaments, and you will have full fields. Full fields people. You will bring average fishermen into the tournament ranks, and you will keep them there longer even if they are relatively unsuccesful. You will have weigh-in crowds beyond belief. You will have a successful circuit my friends.

The model has been used, proven, and in regards to getting people involved it blows all the other tournament models out of the water.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #6  
Old 06-24-2011, 07:07 AM
Wheres Waldo's Avatar
Wheres Waldo Wheres Waldo is offline
Minnow
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Cedar Falls Ia
Posts: 42
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thump55 View Post
Why is it so big? Because they pay out down to 300th place (not every spot of course) and anyone feels they have a chance to win at least something.
.
Sorry, but this sounds like our school systems and goverment. If you work real hard and do your job your not going to get rewarded as much because we can't insult anyone. So we decided to pay all the way down to the people who are getting D's in class or the people who don't want to work.

Also, AIM pays half the field, does bago?

Is baseball done? attendance down in most markets. NBA - 22 of 32 teams losing money.

We are in a tough economy and you need to make choices with what extra money you have. I think walleye tourneys will never be as big as bass tourneys because of the basis of people who fish for them. Just like hockey will never be as big as football.

I love walleye fishing and hockey. I hope when the economy gets better so do these.
__________________
Doug Bonwell
NPAA #310
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #7  
Old 06-24-2011, 06:29 AM
stevefellegy stevefellegy is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Lake Mille Lacs, Mn.
Posts: 1,752
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GM View Post
Just wondering what your opinions are.

Walleye Tournament fishing has seem to taken a downturn in recent years. Look at participation and coverage on TV.

Obviously the economy hurt sponsorship which effected tournament backing and the economy also effects how individuals decide to spend the money they have left after essentials but there was always excitement waiting for the new PWT season and watching how the coverage improved over the years. I always bought the season tournament tapes and got to know the old and new pros as well. Plus having a magazine like the Walleye In-sider covering tournaments and techniques in detail was cutting edge for the time. Everything in the industry was being developed/improved each year from boats to motors to electronics to equipment. Everyone was absorbing new techniques being developed that were winning tournaments.

Then when the FLW entered giving large 6 figure payouts for pros and co anglers it almost seemed like walleye tournaments were going to the next level like Bass tournaments.

What do you think are some of the reasons for the cool down on participating and following of walleye tournamnts?

Do you think the best years are now behind us?
One simple reason anglers are not onboard as they used to be. Lack of MONEY! The business model that makes up the tournament world has finally ran out of anglers that are able to support themselves, while hoping to be paid for their efforts some day as pro fishermen. The tournament industry failed to support both sides of the equation and now this is what you have. No different than any other business and or professional sport. MWC, PWT and FLW are a classic example of that failed buinsess model. AIM has no income to do so......but would.

Marketing of the sport to create a fan base? Failed since the beginning.

Money! If the guy bumping the fish gets paid and the angler who brings him the fish doesn't...this is what you get.

Can it change? Sure. Grow? Sure. But not until fishing is not the nucleus of marketing and the industry pays the anglers to show up. People with fishing backgrounds have to quit being the regime and bring in new blood to create the sport into a fan based entity. (Now the Dave Krafts of the world can jump on me again LOL)

I am going fishing. Not another word from me on this as all know my ideas and thoughts from the past. ( say what you want but there is no other reason the past anglers are not here today--and they started to go away long before any recession hit!)
__________________
Steve Fellegy #49
Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about the things that matter. MLK
sf1954@embarqmail.com or 651-270-3383 cell# ( not "advertising" anything mods--just standing behind my words/posts unlike "guests" or posters with "handles")
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #8  
Old 06-25-2011, 04:53 AM
Not Amused
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Unhappy Dave Krafts Of The World????????????????

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevefellegy View Post
One simple reason anglers are not onboard as they used to be. Lack of MONEY! The business model that makes up the tournament world has finally ran out of anglers that are able to support themselves, while hoping to be paid for their efforts some day as pro fishermen. The tournament industry failed to support both sides of the equation and now this is what you have. No different than any other business and or professional sport. MWC, PWT and FLW are a classic example of that failed buinsess model. AIM has no income to do so......but would.

Marketing of the sport to create a fan base? Failed since the beginning.

Money! If the guy bumping the fish gets paid and the angler who brings him the fish doesn't...this is what you get.

Can it change? Sure. Grow? Sure. But not until fishing is not the nucleus of marketing and the industry pays the anglers to show up. People with fishing backgrounds have to quit being the regime and bring in new blood to create the sport into a fan based entity. (Now the Dave Krafts of the world can jump on me again LOL)

I am going fishing. Not another word from me on this as all know my ideas and thoughts from the past. ( say what you want but there is no other reason the past anglers are not here today--and they started to go away long before any recession hit!)
What is the point of dissing Dave Kraft? A man who has done volumes to advance the sport of walleye fishing? Fellegy, you are your own worst enemy when you do things like that. Comments of that nature do not add to the credibility of your replies in my book. Shame on you...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #9  
Old 07-08-2011, 04:16 PM
northshoreangler northshoreangler is offline
Minnow
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 20
Default These are not the good old days.... )-:

There were good old days. I was part of the good old days. The sport was fun and fishing was competitive. I remember when the ethics were completely different than now. The anglers found their own bites. The competitors policed the ethics. The leaders didn't have to fight off the tail-pipers as much as they do now.
Some of the anglers were actually loyal to their sponsors and didn't change brands for every little monetary gain. Teams were teams. The smallest problem didn't break up the friendships. The business is suffering from desperation. Too many guys have to make selfish, short sighted decisions to just keep the boat floating. Yeah, there were good old days. I have many great friends and terrific memories...I hope the good old days are coming back again.
Some old fashioned ethics and integrity would do the sport well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #10  
Old 07-08-2011, 06:38 PM
GiddyGills GiddyGills is offline
Keeper
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 450
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by northshoreangler View Post
There were good old days. I was part of the good old days. The sport was fun and fishing was competitive. I remember when the ethics were completely different than now. The anglers found their own bites. The competitors policed the ethics. The leaders didn't have to fight off the tail-pipers as much as they do now.
Some of the anglers were actually loyal to their sponsors and didn't change brands for every little monetary gain. Teams were teams. The smallest problem didn't break up the friendships. The business is suffering from desperation. Too many guys have to make selfish, short sighted decisions to just keep the boat floating. Yeah, there were good old days. I have many great friends and terrific memories...I hope the good old days are coming back again.
Some old fashioned ethics and integrity would do the sport well.

You hit the nail right on the head...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Walleye Message Central forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:04 AM.