Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video
Lake of the Woods - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > Members Fishing Reports

Old 02-24-2012, 03:11 PM
Minnow

Default Lake of the Woods

Well, for the winter enthusiasts like myself today is a good day in Lake of the Woods County! We are about to double the amount of snow we have on the ground with the 4-6 inches of snow we are expected to get in the next 36 hours!!! Did you know on average approximately 30 inches of snow falls throughout the year in Lake of the Woods, not this year!
Anyways, back to fishing! Were hearing mixed reports on depths right now as we enter the middle of the hard water season. The majority of people Ive spoke with are having some nice luck right around 30-32 feet of water. One resort owner I spoke with has houses at 34 feet of water and enjoying a nice bite. Were still seeing some nice quality fish coming through and a vexilar/fish finder remains very helpful. Again, were seeing more sauger than walleye, but the sauger are of quality size. Gold, Red, Pink, Glow,and actually some silver, perhaps due to the clearer water. You know the drill on presentation.
The NorthWest Angle has a lot to report this week! At the Angle many limits of crappies are being pulled from Canadian waters at about 30-32 feet of water. One group caught a 48 musky on a crappie jig! Another group pulled at least 15 white fish from good ol Lake of the Woods! Walleye fishing by Garden Island has really taken off. Everyone is bringing in their limits with ease. Great temperatures, continued snow fall, and the fishing is on fireA perfect winter!
Old 02-24-2012, 04:53 PM
Slot Fish

Smile Fish report NWA

I just drove back from NWA yesterday. Did a quick 2 day alone fishing trip. First day (8 hours of fishing) average day with 39 fish a mixed bag of walleye, perch and sauger.

Second day, same fish house, (12 hours fishing) 109 fish 80% walleye, 15% perch and a few whitefish/sauger thrown in. Biggest fish was 23.5". Most walleye were 14-17". From 4:30 to 6pm I was only able to fish one line and the fish were hitting the lure before even getting close to bottom.

The second day beat my best day by 30 fish. I was fishing in 20' off of point on shoreline.
Old 02-28-2012, 12:47 PM
Minnow

Default 2-27-12 fishing report

Were still at about 30 inches of ice in the areas being traveled and fished. Again, a number of depths are being reported. It seems most common is anywhere from 30-34 feet of water. Most fish remain on the bottom, but there are still a few suspended. Were seeing a lot of nice slot fish in that 19.5" - 28" being thrown back and a good mix of walleye and quality sauger around 16" coming through the ice. Different techniques seem to be doing well throughout the day, so switching it up is recommended. Electronics are still proving extremely helpful as we know the fish are there, but just a bit more picky.

At the NorthWest Angle red, glow in the dark, and gold jigs tipped with a minnow are doing best. Changing techniques throughout the day is suggested for best results. Bringing along or renting electronics is highly suggested.

Snowmobilers. This past week weve gained over six inches of snow and the land trails are opened up and groomed. The trails to oak island and Warroad are groomed and in excellent shape as well.
Old 03-30-2012, 08:20 AM
Minnow

Default 3-26 report

What a couple of weeks it has been! The last report written included ice fishing reports and in the few days following the 70-80 degree temperatures opened up the Rainy River for our spring season. Fishing has been phenomenal and the best action seems to be right in four mile bay! The water clarity is good and the bite is active all day long. I dont have a lot of specifics on depths and presentation to feed you, as right now it seems you can do no wrong. Anchored jigging is the suggested technique. The deeper depths seem to be having more luck with sturgeon, so keep that in mind if its a dinosaur you are after.
We expect the same results from the river and the lake as we look forward to our summer opener. Guided Charter fishing on Lake of the Woods is a sure fire way to catch your limit, create memories, experience vast beauty, and enjoy the company of friends and loved ones.