Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video
Anyone eat burbot/eelpout? - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Canada Eh? > Canada

Old 02-28-2012, 12:03 PM
Keeper

Default Anyone eat burbot/eelpout?

Have caught a couple these on fly in lakes, mostly small ones. I understand they are good eating. Are you allowed to eat them? Has anyone ever done this?
Old 02-28-2012, 12:25 PM
Wallhanger

Yes, but I only feed them to the other guys on the trip.
Old 02-28-2012, 01:48 PM
Minnow

Default ever eat burbot ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ten Horse Johnson View Post
Have caught a couple these on fly in lakes, mostly small ones. I understand they are good eating. Are you allowed to eat them? Has anyone ever done this?
These fish have a number of names, and are widely distributed in Ontario. We always used to call them ling. They are a freshwater cod,
We have caught them many times, through the ice, fishing deep water for lake trout and whitefish. There was one time that we decided to try one, so we built a fire on shore and roasted our fish over the fire. While it was edible, it was quite oily, like some ocean fish. The consensus was that it needed salt and a lot more beer. lol
Old 02-28-2012, 01:54 PM
Charter Member

on our vacation travels in Michigan (upper pen.) we would see them advertised at some resturantes and bars and I think there they called them lawyers. Usually they were advertising a "feed" although we never tried any. Maybe someone from that neck of the woods could verify.
Old 02-28-2012, 02:24 PM
Keeper

Default backstraps

I like the backstraps. The tail is usually full of dark meat. The loins are very tasty. They are a fresh water cod. Great beer battered. Here they are called Ling, Lush or Burbot. We get some big ones inland here upto 6 or 8lbs. If it is over cooked it can get rubbery. Another good way to cook the loins is to cut them in cubes and wrap them in bacon. You can pan fry them or BBQ it.
Old 02-28-2012, 03:18 PM
buuuuurboter

Default ugly

There just way to ugly to eat
can't get there cute face out of my mind
The only way I'd have to eat one is if i was in a plane wreck in the desert
and thankfully there not that abudant in the desert
Old 02-28-2012, 03:38 PM
Wallhanger

Yup! We used to catch them back home in BC. They are a freshwater cod and you can cook them like you would cod. We used to fillet them and deep fry in batter or pan fry in bread crumbs. Very tasty when cooked fresh. These fish would have normally eaten kokanee, which are landlocked Sockeye Salmon. I'm sure that would impact the flavour a bit.

The average size we would catch was 4-6 pounds but I did catch one that was around 12 while fishing for Lake Trout. Some of the lakes north of where I'm from they would catch them ice fishing in the mid to high 20's, which is HUGE for a burbot. Those fish were well over 40 inches long and had major girth, courtesy of the local whitefish population no doubt, LOL.
Old 02-28-2012, 05:00 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrym View Post
on our vacation travels in Michigan (upper pen.) we would see them advertised at some resturantes and bars and I think there they called them lawyers. Usually they were advertising a "feed" although we never tried any. Maybe someone from that neck of the woods could verify.
Finally a worthwhile use for lawyers.

They're all pretty slimey in my area.....
Old 02-28-2012, 06:31 PM
Keeper

Default big ling

Here is a 10 pounder I caught through the ice in 2010. We cooked it up as poor man's lobster and dipped it in butter, it was very good.

http://i1178.photobucket.com/albums/...bling005-2.jpg
Old 02-28-2012, 07:57 PM
Wallhanger

Cut one up and fried one once, not bad, but there are other fish I prefer...They have been dumped back in the lake ever time since the 1st trial run.