Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video
Fishing lines are getting better. - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Muskie Central > General Discussion

Old 03-06-2012, 03:53 PM
Slot Fish

Default Fishing lines are getting better.

My thought's are that fluorocarbon lines are getting so good at being abrasion resistant that you may not need a big ugly steel leader or the larger fluorocarbon leader.
I have a walleye outfit rigged with 8lb floro that has caught several big pike up to 42"and musky up to 44"and the line was fine. I always check for nicks and re-tie when necessary.
Thinking of going with a smaller musky outfit with 25lb floro and tying directly to the lure or a snap barrel swivel. I think this would only work on lures that are 2oz and smaller.
I know I'm taking a chance here but how many fish have I missed because the fish noticed the leader? I also think lure action would improve.
I watch a few salt water shows and see them bring in 20-35lb bull reds, snook, tarpon, bone fish and permit with no leader.
Old 03-06-2012, 10:31 PM
Wallhanger

I tried a similar experiment last year. I didn't seem to catch, any more fish but it was a tough year for me. I did learn I didn't like the floro, if you get a backlash like I do once in a while it wont handle that, the lure does the old pick up speed thing when the line snaps. Never breaks for me with a braid. I went to all 832 and love it.
It was also hard to get the backlashes out. That and quick releases are tough when the fish is wasted from the fight. Try it for yourself though, this is just my .02$.
Old 03-13-2012, 07:26 AM
Wallhanger

832 SUCKS.. bleeds all over and when you get a backlash that crap digs in like no other.

also, i wouldn't advise going that low on your leader. The teeth on a musky are much bigger than any walleye. And the way they thrash, they will rip thru some leaders. I use #130 stealth leaders and don't see any reason to change. You never know when that fish of a lifetime is going to hit. IMO, downgrading is like going on a trophy hunt with a .22LR
Old 03-27-2012, 03:05 PM
Minnow

I've seen first hand 40" to 50" Muskie tear right through 130# fluorocarbon leaders. I now use no less than 150# flourocarbon and steel as well. First, a Muskie does not care on seeing the leader or color of line. They hit boatside! I've used neon 80# 832 with zero issues and fish could care less. If your purposely targeting Muskie I wouldn't use anything less than 65# braid along with 150# flourocarbon leader or steel. It's best for the fish as keeping your lures. No need in fighting the fish to exhaustion as well as potentially breaking off with fish swimming away with a 8-10" soft plastic or bait in it's mouth. It's important to use the proper gear... I've seen fish bend, twist hooks, snap leader in half and they are stronger than you think....
Old 03-29-2012, 01:22 PM
Minnow

I will be targeting Northern Pike on Lac Seul this summer. I usually rig up some fireline (I cant remember the test but I think its about 15 lbs) and have not had an issue with not using a leader. Ive landed some ~35 inchers on it with no leader and no issues.

I want to target muskie some of the days Im fishing there. Two questions:

1) Will the fireline be ok?
2) will I need a leader?

Thanks!
Old 03-29-2012, 04:31 PM
Minnow

Fireline could work but your talking "Lac Seul" where monsters roam! I would suggest to always use a leader when chasing the toothy Esox. You might get away with no leader and light line but your odds significantly decrease when targeting these species with light line and no leader. If your gonna chase Muskie I would highly suggest to use no less than 65# braided line. I use 80-100# but I know 100% for sure I won't lose my expensive Muskie lure and I won't lose a fish and have it swim off with a 5-14" bait stuck in it's mouth. If you plan on releasing Muskie then it's best to use a leader and with heavier braid. Lac Seul has 40-50# fish, why not put the odds in your favor and know your terminal tackle is up to par for fighting a potential lifetime fish! Trust me, Muskies dont care about line color and visable leaders if they want to eat. Use 130# leaders with 65# braid at a minimum for Muskie
Old 04-03-2012, 12:55 AM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Lahey View Post
I will be targeting Northern Pike on Lac Seul this summer. I usually rig up some fireline (I cant remember the test but I think its about 15 lbs) and have not had an issue with not using a leader. Ive landed some ~35 inchers on it with no leader and no issues.

I want to target muskie some of the days Im fishing there. Two questions:

1) Will the fireline be ok?
2) will I need a leader?

Thanks!
Use minimum 65 # braided line (power pro) and definitely a leader! Not a pike leader either, muskie specific stuff! Lac Seul muskies are big, and they aren't easy to catch either. The last thing you want to do is spend time and effort trying to catch one just to have it break off your under rated line or cheap leader. Then that fish is stuck with your bait in its mouth. No fair to you or the fish. Do yourself a favor and get the right gear for the job at hand.

Sioux Lookout, Lac Seul, Ontario.