Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video
As UNPROFESSIONAL as you can get!!! - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Bone Orchard > WC Bone Yard

Old 03-13-2012, 07:08 AM
Minnow

Default As UNPROFESSIONAL as you can get!!!

[FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3]So this past weekend at the BPS Spring Classic in Denver we had quite a few seminars about walleye fishing from some of the local anglers. These anglers are VERY good fishermen and many have fished at the National level at one time or another as well. They all gave informative talks and their opinions were broad, but all had a time and place for the specific tactic they were discussing. Then along comes a pro to speak and totally 100% shoots down what these great anglers had been talking about. This supposed pro told everyone in the crowd that the local guys were wrong and he knew what was right. He gave no credit to the other anglers at all and once again discounted everything that they talked about. This was one of the most unprofessional acts Ive ever heard of, and his sponsors alone should be embarrassed with this display. Im just curious if anyone else has witnessed this at any of the sports shows or seminars across the country? I do know many of the guys that fish the pro circuits and I would suspect that if this happens it is on a very limited basic. Just a rant and to show my disappointment in a select few in this industry.[/SIZE][/FONT]
Old 03-13-2012, 08:48 AM
Wallhanger

i really dont pay much respect for the "pros" in the industry... Take their cell phone away and they wouldnt do squat in most tourneys...

Give them 2 days to figure out a body of water and dont let them use their cell phone to call all the locals that they know and see how well they do... Put them on the same level as other anglers with limited time off ect and they really are not as good as they think.

Anyone can find fish if given 2 weeks to prefish..Not to mention there are guys ( and I know some) that idiolize these so called pros and will actually go out and spend their time and money prefishing for them just so they can say they put (insert pros name) on a good bite....The pros dont even care about these guys, they just realize that these guys are big enough tools to do this for them...

I would agree with you, very UNPROFESSIONAL on their part.
Old 03-13-2012, 08:59 AM
Wallhanger

Hmm ?.
Usually Bass Pro uses really good guys.
I have listened to a lot of seminars by a lot of successful fishermen over the years.
Some time you pick up some great tips.
But.....I remember one "Pro" telling us that we should not troll cranks with Fireline (or other braids).
His reasoning was: The fish missed all the time when trying to bite. -because the line didn't stretch, so the fish couldn't inhale the crankbait. :rotfl:

Hard to listen anymore after that.. :huh:
Old 03-13-2012, 10:17 AM

Default pro

please provide the link, can't find it for some reason
Old 03-13-2012, 10:20 AM
Wallhanger

I can remember some "pros" on a well known TV show stating you can't catch walleyes on a slip bobber in South Dakota. I have been doing it for a long time, but just didn't know that I couldn't.
Old 03-13-2012, 10:45 AM
Charter Member

I've consistently found just about the opposite to be true. We've booked many speakers for our Walleye club over many years. I've found the speakers are very respectful of our members experiences and comments. There really is only a few times I can recall in the presentations that a claim was made to be any more knowledgable than anyone that has spent time/effort on the water to figure things out.

I've often felt almost the exact opposite - the pro's seem to share everything, it's almost like they have spent an excessive amount of time to learn their skills, and it's given away to the audience. The common approach is they all seem to accept is sharing their knowledge is good for the sport, and without promoting interest in the sport we all would have some serious issues.

Too bad about your bad experience, I guess maybe everyone has a bad day, I know I do.
Old 03-13-2012, 11:17 AM
Wallhanger

Like the pro who told me I couldn't catch walleye on night crawlers in cold water early spring, they don't work until the water warms up. Shhhh don't tell the walleyes, I have been hammering on night crawlers they must not know that fact. lol
Old 03-13-2012, 04:38 PM
Wallhanger

Default Spot On

What you say here couldn't be more true in alot of instances unfortunately. In the years I did human interest stuff for the weekly and daily papers on top pro-fisherman, I had the opportunity to prefish many of the key events. One pro I recall spent most of his time talking with guides he either hired or they offered to help him on his cell phone. Others contracted pilots to fly them over fishing areas noting local fishing activity. Speaking just today with a graphic artist that does work for several of the large tackle and sporting goods companies, we commented on how some are good with the public and others are not. I don't question most of their ability, let me be clear on that. But what I saw hanging out at these professional fishing competitions, amazed me. Guys walking up and selling their souls with their information, stuff I would cherish and not overly willing to share and be exploited as would happen with these pro's. Let me ask you this ! How often have any of you heard someone gertting credit from a pro at any time? My two cents

[QUOTE=teamlund;1406426]i really dont pay much respect for the "pros" in the industry... Take their cell phone away and they wouldnt do squat in most tourneys...

Give them 2 days to figure out a body of water and dont let them use their cell phone to call all the locals that they know and see how well they do... Put them on the same level as other anglers with limited time off ect and they really are not as good as they think.

Anyone can find fish if given 2 weeks to prefish..Not to mention there are guys ( and I know some) that idiolize these so called pros and will actually go out and spend their time and money prefishing for them just so they can say they put (insert pros name) on a good bite....The pros dont even care about these guys, they just realize that these guys are big enough tools to do this for them...

I would agree with you, very UNPROFESSIONAL on their part.[/QUOTE]
Old 03-13-2012, 08:16 PM
Chunks UL

[QUOTE=Gary Korsgaden;1406611]What you say here couldn't be more true in alot of instances unfortunately. In the years I did human interest stuff for the weekly and daily papers on top pro-fisherman, I had the opportunity to prefish many of the key events. One pro I recall spent most of his time talking with guides he either hired or they offered to help him on his cell phone. Others contracted pilots to fly them over fishing areas noting local fishing activity. Speaking just today with a graphic artist that does work for several of the large tackle and sporting goods companies, we commented on how some are good with the public and others are not. I don't question most of their ability, let me be clear on that. But what I saw hanging out at these professional fishing competitions, amazed me. Guys walking up and selling their souls with their information, stuff I would cherish and not overly willing to share and be exploited as would happen with these pro's. Let me ask you this ! How often have any of you heard someone gertting credit from a pro at any time? My two cents[/QUOTE]

Agreed. I wonder if what the speaker was slanting the presentation toward was his sponsors products, which may have been contrary to the previous local speakers?

Reminds me of a show I saw on WFN this week. Pros fishing Oahe during the tournament with custom made spinners just for that situation, but when the TV show airs, they promote their sponsors spinners and somewhat deceivingly make it sound like those were the spinners they used during the tournament. They gave the person who told them about it credit, but the consumer is lead to believe their sponsors product is what brought them the $$$.
Old 03-13-2012, 09:32 PM
Keeper

Default So called Pro

Just to let evryone know the guy that is being talked about is NOT sponsored or a pro staff member of BPS. He is a fellow (greenie/Colorado guy who is a self proclaimed pro because he is retired and enters pro tournaments. I was at the seminar and was pissed off that a fellow Colorado angler was bad mouthing another. I personally know the angler he was badmouthing and he is an excellent angler who has down more for Colorado walleye fishing than the other guy could or will ever do. Its all about having fun and trying to help people that may not know as much about fishing. Everyone knows that fishing is beginning to take a back seat to video games in the younger generation and if people like this guy keep giving seminars were all parents and kids hear about is how much better some people think they are than others its going to be a lost pastime. Thanks and lets remember that this person is a 1%er of the great people in the walleye world.