Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video
just to confirm...nothing under Ranger Gunnels? - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Boats

Old 03-16-2012, 04:11 PM
Wallhanger

Default just to confirm...nothing under Ranger Gunnels?

i'm thinking about flush mounting some rod holders (can't justify the price of tracks) and the dealership told me that there were no wires etc directly under the gunnels of my reata 1850vs...but i'd like to confirm.

has anyone here flush mounted rod holders on their Ranger?
Old 03-16-2012, 04:35 PM
Wallhanger

I removed the side panels on my 2050, expecting to see foam in every nook and cranny, like I was lead to believe. There are about two inches in the 'top rail', and the rest of the area had all the wiring and such laying in it. Looked like someone dropped a plate of spaghetti in there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-16-2012, 04:54 PM
Charter Member

Jinx,
Since "things" can end up in strange places during assembly, it is really up to you to figure out what is in YOUR boat.

If you are sure that you want a flush mount rod holder mounted in a particular spot, you can take a 3/32 inch drill bit and drill - just - through the gunnel.

Then, take a wire and use it as a probe to probe all around the small hole to verify that you will be in good shape to drill a larger hole.

If you find your way blocked, you can easily fill the small hole so that it disappears.

Take care
REW
Old 03-16-2012, 05:37 PM
Wallhanger

It'd probably be easier to take off the side panel, and remove small pieces of the foam, rather than drill holes into the fiberglass.
Old 03-16-2012, 06:06 PM
Slot Fish

I'm with Hombre - take off the side panel and get a good look at what you have. Not sure what an '07 has under the gunnel but a '12 has a rigging tube just under the gunnel (and foam too). It's not difficult to remove the panel - just a bunch of screws.

Let me know and I can send you the pointers my dealer gave me for removing the panel. It might be different for your boat but should give you a good idea.

--Tim
Old 03-16-2012, 06:23 PM
Wallhanger

Yep. The rigging tube on the starboard side is exactly why my 1860 doesn't have 3 flush mounts on each side.
Old 03-16-2012, 09:03 PM
Keeper

Thumbs down X2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hombre Robusto View Post
I removed the side panels on my 2050, expecting to see foam in every nook and cranny, like I was lead to believe. There are about two inches in the 'top rail', and the rest of the area had all the wiring and such laying in it. Looked like someone dropped a plate of spaghetti in there.
Quality ain't job 1 anymore
Old 03-17-2012, 05:32 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by THROWINWOOD View Post
Quality ain't job 1 anymore
How do you expect to run all the wires and cables from the front to the back if the sides are filled with foam?

It would piss me off if there WAS foam in the sides and it impaired my ability to run cables from new installs.

Sheesh....Go take the tour and see exactly how much foam is actually in those boats. You wouldn't be complaining one bit if you actually knew.

Just my .02 cents.

Juls
NPAA#89

Find me in Walleye Central's Business Directory HERE

http://www.walleyecentral.com/pros/?proID=8

2014 Ranger 620
250 ETEC
15 ETEC Kicker
112 Terrova w/iPilot LINK
Humminbird 1199 SI, 1159c DI on Dash & 1159 Bow
Old 03-17-2012, 05:55 AM
Wallhanger

Juls,
I guess he would be happier if they ran everything, wired it and then sealed it in foam completely? Imagine how much fun it would be if something went wrong in the wiring or you wanted to run wires yourself?? Guess you can't make everyone happy anymore. It has become a negative world where people just look for something to complain about.......
Old 03-17-2012, 08:32 AM
Keeper

Jinx ... Go get the Bert's or Traxstec tracks and put them on. You have boat that would push the $40 K at new. Putting a couple hundred dollars into tracks should not be an issue and you will like the flexiblity they will give you on the water.

Also if you are dealing with the dealer I expect you are, take it what they have told you with a grain of salt. They do not know the boats and never will as they switch brands everytime you turn around.

PM me if you want more info on this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Walleye Message Central forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.