Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video
Loose windshield - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Boats

Old 10-16-2008, 11:14 AM
Minnow

Default Loose windshield

I have a 2001 Tracker Tundra with a walk thorugh windshield. The movable hinged portion of the windshield is loose and no longer rigid. Does anyone have a tip to repair this problem? Has anyone tried running rivits in the overlapping corners without breaking the glass? I have seen this problems on some other boats. I assume most windshields are made by Taylor.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-19-2008, 07:47 AM
Charter Member

The easiest solution is to remove the windshield and never deal with the glass or moving parts again.
Also, it is much easier to see if you don't have the water soaked glass in front of your eyes.

-----------
Actually, you can do exactly what you speak about.
Just figure out where the glass ends, so that when you drill holes for the new fastners, you don't hit or nick the glass with your drill bit. If you do - the glass will be gone.

Take care
REW
Old 10-19-2008, 10:39 AM
Wallhanger

Replace all of the rivets and sheet metal screws that you can get at. Drill thru and install 10x32 stainless steel fasteners with stn stl nylok nuts. Remove the entire windshield from the boat so that you can get at the lower corners too. Kind of a pain to do, but you won't regret it.
Old 10-19-2008, 06:04 PM
Minnow

Thumbs up Loose windshield

Thanks for the advice. The stainless through bolts with the nylon locking nuts sounds like the best way to go. I just need to "get her done" before the next fishing season.
Old 10-19-2008, 08:46 PM
Charter Member

In addition to the stainless locking nuts, if possible use large stainless body washers on the underside of the cowl to better distribute the stress.
Take care
REW