Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video
Why are OEM oil filters costly? - Page 3 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Motors and Props

Old 11-23-2008, 08:58 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by angler53 View Post
I certainly wouldn't hesitate to use the Pennzoil but no one stocks around here. I've found it at Wal-Mart a few times but there's never more than 2 or 3 quarts on the shelf.

You say you change every one hundred hours. I only ran 107 hours the fist year on my motor. The oil I changed out last week was 6 months and 35 hours and it was without doubt in need of change. I'm setting mine up on 3 months or 25 hours, so I need something more economical.

I read the article on the Hull Truth about filters. I came away convinced that the Denso filter is superior. It's not superior enough to pay $32 for one, though. I gave $16 for one last week and that's still a little steep for an oil filter. You look on Denso website and $6.95 is the most expensive automotive oil filter they advertise.

I can't find a cross reference for the Yamaha 69J, but still trying. I know a lot of car engines have side flow filters so I would just about bet that there is an alternative. I took the filter to the Toyota parts counter and they couldn't find anything to cross reference with #115010-6001 on the filter.

Good running little motor, I'm well pleased with it.

Cross reference choices for the F150:

These Oil Filters
have 3/4" x 16tpi threads,
8 psi by-pass valve,
anti-drain back valve.

Recommended filters in blue.
Available filters include
  • Purolator PL10241 / PL25230
  • Mobil1 M1-102
  • Bosch 3330
  • AMSOil SMF 133/134/135
  • Baldwin B1413
  • Fram PH6022, PH6065A
  • Hastings LF576
  • NAPA 1348
  • Purolator ML16822
  • WIX 51348

Many Yamaha ATV's and OHV's use the same filters as the outboards.

"Each time a man stands up for an ideal, or acts to improve the lot of others, or strikes out against injustice, he sends forth a tiny ripple of hope, and crossing each other from a million different centers of energy and daring, those ripples build a current which can sweep down the mightiest walls of oppression and resistance."

Robert F. Kennedy

Last edited by tbomn; 11-23-2008 at 09:27 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-23-2008, 10:18 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbomn View Post
Cross reference choices for the F150:

These Oil Filters
have 3/4" x 16tpi threads,
8 psi by-pass valve,
anti-drain back valve.

Recommended filters in blue.
Available filters include
  • Purolator PL10241 / PL25230
  • Mobil1 M1-102
  • Bosch 3330
  • AMSOil SMF 133/134/135
  • Baldwin B1413
  • Fram PH6022, PH6065A
  • Hastings LF576
  • NAPA 1348
  • Purolator ML16822
  • WIX 51348

Many Yamaha ATV's and OHV's use the same filters as the outboards.
Thank you for the list. I think I've seen that before and saved the list for future use. Yamaha had to replace the powerhead at fifteen hours, total time sense new. I caused that to be a very displeasurable experience for all involved. I was told it may help me in the long run to stay with Yamaha 69J & Yamalube, at least for the duration of the warranty period.

I want to buy a Denso 115010-6001 from auto parts for $6 like I buy NGK plugs for $4 at auto parts when they are over $12 at the marine parts supply.
Old 11-23-2008, 06:44 PM
Vtec1

Default OEM Filters

Wow, lots of responses to the filter debate! I should note that I only use Honda brand filters on my vehicle and boat, no aftermarket brand. The Honda filters appear to be much better quality to aftermarket filters and again, appear identical for both autos and marine. I'm not too cheap to buy a good filter but if it's the same thing I might as well pay the cheaper price at the auto dealer. If anyone knows for sure they are different in any way I would welcome the info.