Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video
Fortrex vs terrova - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Motors and Props

Old 02-14-2009, 04:41 PM
Minnow

Default Fortrex vs terrova

Hello,need some opinions fortrex[or maxxum]vs terrova.Had a hard time deploying the terrova the one time I used the motor[took the delivery the end of September and had to break in the 250,and the t8].Other than that the motor is sweet,auto pilot,co pilot,36volt 60'' shaft,sweet.Imostly cast or vertical jig.I may start trolling more so I might use the Terrova more.It was very hard to deploy that is the biggest hang up I have with the terrova.I need help.Thanks

Bob G.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-14-2009, 05:17 PM
Keeper

Mostly terrova fans on this site. Autopilot, co-pilot, and ability to maintain course while trolling without having to keep your foot on the pedal are all plus points for the Terrova. However, if you want to stay on a "spot-on-a-spot" or maintain the edge of a weedline while casting, the maxxum/fortrex is better IMHO. The cable drives are also easier to deploy - just pull the cord with the lift-assist and you are done.

In the end, the two motors are VERY different and you need to be honest with yourself as to what you will be using it for and what you are accustomed to using. For me there is no question that I need the cable-drive. However, the Terrova is a very sweet motor with great functionality.

TB
Old 02-14-2009, 06:01 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob690 View Post
Hello,need some opinions fortrex[or maxxum]vs terrova.Had a hard time deploying the terrova the one time I used the motor[took the delivery the end of September and had to break in the 250,and the t8].Other than that the motor is sweet,auto pilot,co pilot,36volt 60'' shaft,sweet.Imostly cast or vertical jig.I may start trolling more so I might use the Terrova more.It was very hard to deploy that is the biggest hang up I have with the terrova.I need help.Thanks

Bob G.
It's not hard to deploy if you remember to push the lever in while you push it down at the same time. In fact, it's super easy.

Been there....done that.

Juls
NPAA#89

Find me in Walleye Central's Business Directory HERE

http://www.walleyecentral.com/pros/?proID=8

2014 Ranger 620
250 ETEC
15 ETEC Kicker
112 Terrova w/iPilot LINK
Humminbird 1199 SI, 1159c DI on Dash & 1159 Bow
Old 02-14-2009, 09:40 PM
Keeper

Only thing I dont like about my terrova is that it has to be mounted way more to the front of the boat.The steering mechanism is located at the hinge point.I need to get a quick release/slider plate to mount between motor and boat so I can back up the motor when I put my ranger cover over the boat.It currently will not fit in the stoed position.That is however small beans to the added trolling benefits of this unit.Love the auto pilot,I call it ''locking the hubs'' acts like 4wheel drive in mud when your kicker is on and the auto pilot just pulls you into those waves.
Old 02-16-2009, 06:03 AM
Minnow

Default terrova deploy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob690 View Post

Bob G.
Hi Bob,

I have a Terrova also. It was also very hard to deploy. I wiped down the shaft with WD-40, as stated in the manual. It helped. It still does not deploy effortlessly though, as stated in their ads. I am having a problem with the internal sonar, it looses the temp often, and also looses the sonar a lot. I have another transducer I put on my unit and it works fine. Ans of course it works fine when I take it in to have it checked out.

Hope this helps,have a great day.
Old 02-16-2009, 08:13 AM
Slot Fish

I have both motors. The Maxxum is better for vertical jigging. However, the Terrova is awsome for bottom bouncing or trolling, especially if you get the co-pilot.

Scott
Old 02-16-2009, 09:01 AM
Keeper

I have owned a power drive and several cable including the maxum and that's on my boat now.I had the power drive for 10 years and just tolerated it alway's had to look at the motor head when changing direction or I would over steer.I fished with a Terrova a couple of time's and is a improvment over the older power drive the pedle is much better but the feel is still way better on the maxum.You can work a point or weed line with a cable system with out even looking at the head just the front sonar.I have heard some guy's say that you have to keep your foot on the peddle of a cable system all the time not if it's adjusted correctly at least up to normal fishing speed.Now after saying all that if you do lot's of BIG water crawler harness trolling in wide open area's (large flat's)the Terrova is the way to go.The auto pilot is nice for doing that.
Old 02-17-2009, 12:28 PM
Minnow

Default Fortrex vs Terrova

I want to thank everyone for posting your pros and cons.I have decided to go with the Fortrex.I do have some knee and back problems,so for that reason I based my decision.And I also jig for walleye and do a lot of drop shoting for bass in the St.Clair and Detroit rivers.I don't want anybody to get the wrong idea the terrova is a great motor.Thanks again.

Bob G.
Old 02-17-2009, 07:53 PM
Keeper

I think you will be very happy with the Fortrex for what you are describing. Especially with the drop-shotting, you will love the responsiveness of that motor.

Good luck!