Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video
snap weights-size/depth? - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > Strictly Fishing

Old 07-03-2009, 09:55 PM
Wallhanger

So teamlund what if you are using planer boards? I tried the 50/50 thing today and it seemed I was hitting bottom, maybe going 2 slow? This is gonna take some practice I see!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-05-2009, 08:23 AM
Wallhanger

remember that you have to maintain a 45 degree angle in the line after you put the weight down. Also I usually run a 20 ft lead between the bait and the snap weight which will also get down about 3-4 ft ......again, depending on speed...

If I wanted to run my spinner 20 ft down I would---
1-run a 20 ft lead (gets down 3 ft)
2-clip on a 1/2 oz snap weight
3-let out 34 ft of line (this will get my weight down 17 ft)
4-ataach planer board

Again this is all based on keeping you r line from the weight to the planer board at a 45 degree angle. There are tons of variables with any weight system ( snaps, bouncers, ect) You will have to make adjustments as you go but it will give you a base to start from. You can always start recording all your info and make you own depth charts for snap weights than it is custom to your set up like line, speed, ect.

Last edited by teamlund; 07-05-2009 at 12:26 PM.
Old 07-05-2009, 08:26 AM
Wallhanger

Also , If you want to troll very slow try switching to a 1/4 oz weight. You may be able to maintain a 45 degree angle at a slower speed with 1/4 oz weight.....
Old 07-06-2009, 01:32 PM
Keeper

I must be doing it wrong all these years and so has everyone else I know.
.08 to 1.4 mph
no weight 1 foot down for each 10 feet of line out.

1oz weight 1 foot down for each 2 feet of line out.

I'd imagin the 1/2 oz system is close in the spring with #3-#5 blades, but now when your runnin #6-#8 they have quite a bit more lift/drag ?
Old 07-06-2009, 03:45 PM
Wallhanger

LOL. The first few times I used snap weights I snagged and lost the whole setup. I would be trolling Reef Runners. Anyways here is what I have always heard:

"The Snap Weight
Snap weights are nothing more than 1/2- to three-ounce, cylindrical-shaped sinkers with a padded clip attached to one end. You can make your own snap weights using bell sinkers, alligator clips, O-rings and plastic tubing, but the ones made by Off Shore Tackle are so good, so simple to use and so inexpensive, I don't know why anyone would bother.

As for attaching the weights to your line, the so-called 50/50 method is best when you're trolling shallow-running stickbaits. Simply let out your lure and 50 feet of line, snap on the appropriate amount of weight, then let out another 50 feet before attaching your planer board (see next section).

But how much weight is enough? As a rule of thumb, shallow-running stickbaits will dive an additional 15 feet when you attach a one-ounce snap weight, 20 feet when you attach a two-ounce sinker and 25 feet when you attach three ounces. Of course, you can add half-ounce increments to achieve specific depths, and you'll usually need to fine-tune your trolling speed to achieve precise depth control.

You can also use the deep-diving versions of the lures mentioned-as well as many others-in conjunction with snap weights. If you do use deep divers, though, it's important to clothespin the weight onto your line 20 feet up from the lure. Then, simply keep in mind that when you add a one-ounce sinker, your lure will go down 33 per cent deeper than its original dive curve.

So, if you're trolling a #12 Deep Husky Jerk that normally runs 19 feet deep when you let out 250 feet of line, you can place the same lure in front of a school of giant walleye swimming in 25 feet of water if you attach a one-ounce snap weight 20 feet ahead of the lure.

TACTIC TIP - Go Longer
After you've caught walleye using the 50/50 rule with shallow-running stickbaits and the 20-foot rule with deep divers, you can start adding heavier snap weights farther away from the lure, which takes them even deeper to where the biggest 'eyes often lurk. This requires constant experimentation, but by referring to the dive curves in Precision Trolling, you can discover new depths to fish."

The key is experiment, here is the article for ref:

http://articles.outdoorcanada.ca/Hom...1081606p2.html

karpbuster