Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video
Yamaha to Merc - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Boats

Old 03-10-2010, 12:54 PM
Howmuch?

Default Yamaha to Merc

Contacted my local dealer about trading my 2001 Yamaha 115HP on a Merc Opti 135Hp. My 2025 is rated at 135HP, and thought I'd upgrade.

Merc Opti 135 with power steering $14,200.

High book on my 115 Yamy $4000

Difference of $10,200 PLUS TAX.

Scared me off. Does this sound close to you guys in the know?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-10-2010, 01:12 PM
Wallhanger

Is this a tiller? According to Ed's, the crate price of the 135 is $9300, the power steering/Big Tiller handle is about $3600, plus installation and wiring of the pump, etc. $14,200 may be a little high, looks like there's about $1300 or so for labor. Of course, we haven't included a prop or hub kit yet, is that included in the quote?
HRG
Old 03-10-2010, 01:21 PM
Yamaha to Merc

I was told $14,200 installed. Your right, no mention of prop or hub kit. Tax would add quite a bit to. I just never thought it could be that high to trade up 20HP.
Old 03-10-2010, 01:28 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamaha to Merc View Post
I just never thought it could be that high to trade up 20HP.
I'm no dealer, but you are also gaining 9 model years (and warranty), plus the power steering system. I'm guessing you could find a early-2000's motor for a lot less.
HRG
Old 03-12-2010, 08:19 AM
Keeper

I have an '03 Lund 1800 pro sport with a 115. I wouldn't mind having 20 or more horses but the thought of spending a lot of $ on the trade-up to another motor scares me. I've upgraded everything on this boat which I bought in 12/06, '08 80# tm with u/s, 2 '09 color sonar/gps with mapping, new marine radio, interior lighting, on and on....my point being that I think I could sell my boat for a decent price, put $10K with that and move into a newer and and more powerful rig, just a thought.

Last edited by dabirdsman; 03-12-2010 at 08:43 AM.
Old 03-12-2010, 07:32 PM
Wallhanger

It is always expensive to upgrade just motors. Yes you are gaining power steering and several model years, but you will have to judge if the performance difference is enough. I think it is always better to trade up entire boat and all for big money like that. You also have to realize you won't probably get your money back on an older boat with a new motor. Just some things to consider.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Walleye Message Central forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.