Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Public Boat Launch on Eagle Lake? - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Canada Eh? > Canada

Old 06-16-2010, 07:27 PM
Minnow

Default Public Boat Launch on Eagle Lake?

In July I will be staying at a camp on Portage Bay. I usually rent a truck and tow my boat into the camp but this year I may have to use my Honda van for towing because I can't get a truck.

If it is rainy my van won't make it down the road to camp with a boat in tow so I'm looking for a backup plan that may involve putting my boat in somewhere else and traveling across water to camp. Is there a public boat ramp in Vermilion Bay or off Hwy 502 somewhere? If so, is it legal and safe to leave a vehicle there for a week?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-16-2010, 08:04 PM
Minnow

There's a boat ramp right in town by that water plant or whatever that is.... Clean the truck out - it should be OK to leave it there.

DC
Old 06-16-2010, 08:15 PM
Keeper

follow the signs to the government dock in vermillion bay, I believe the boat launch is there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-17-2010, 01:04 PM

The guys are right about the ramp but personaly I would not leave my van there for a week. Not that I think Vermillion has bad folks but thats a long time and somebody might figure out it was not being attended. It complicates things but do you suppose you could leave it in town some place? At least where there are lights and people around. Maybe Gord will jump in if he's not to busy.....he might have an idea. You could also stay at Gord's.....it's a nice place.
Old 06-17-2010, 01:06 PM

P.S.

Probably already thought of this but would your camp have a truck and tow it in for you. Most places do and would.
Old 06-17-2010, 07:50 PM
Minnow

Thanks for the information. I think I see the ramp on Google Earth. Looks like it is about in the middle of the north shore. I bet that ride down Vermillion Bay could be a rough one if a good south wind is blowing. Considering that I have never been on that part of the lake, this probably qualifies as another of my hair brained ideas.

LarryM - The camp would probably come to my rescue if necessary but they are busy and I hate to bother them. I probably just need to buy a truck. BTW I am in the Des Moines area too. Used to rent my trucks from Dewy but now Hertz does their rentals so I am out of luck.
Old 06-18-2010, 05:33 AM
Charter Member

Eyes......I sent you a p.m. and suggested a better place to leave your truck.

gord
Old 06-18-2010, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyes_R_Us View Post
Thanks for the information. I think I see the ramp on Google Earth. Looks like it is about in the middle of the north shore. I bet that ride down Vermillion Bay could be a rough one if a good south wind is blowing. Considering that I have never been on that part of the lake, this probably qualifies as another of my hair brained ideas.

LarryM - The camp would probably come to my rescue if necessary but they are busy and I hate to bother them. I probably just need to buy a truck. BTW I am in the Des Moines area too. Used to rent my trucks from Dewy but now Hertz does their rentals so I am out of luck.
Good to see another Iowan on board. We fished Eagle for 10 years staying at Pine Beach lodge and a couple of times at Gord's place in Vermillion Bay. We eventually looked for new scenery and ended up at Gullrock and Lac Seul but were back to Eagle last year. I really like that lake but yes, the open water can get rough. We've got a few stories from the past we pull out once in awhile recalling our trips back to the lodge in high winds. Don't know where your lodge is but one thing about Eagle is the number of Islands and the ability to find some sheltered water if your willing to take a bit longer route. Also an easy lake to get lost on I found......was pleased when GPS's with chips became available as I don't have a built in compass in my head like some do.
Old 06-19-2010, 01:46 PM
Keeper

I was at the ramp in Town last year its a good deepwater launch.
Old 06-28-2010, 08:59 AM
Slot Fish

Thumbs up Eagle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyes_R_Us View Post
In July I will be staying at a camp on Portage Bay. I usually rent a truck and tow my boat into the camp but this year I may have to use my Honda van for towing because I can't get a truck.

If it is rainy my van won't make it down the road to camp with a boat in tow so I'm looking for a backup plan that may involve putting my boat in somewhere else and traveling across water to camp. Is there a public boat ramp in Vermilion Bay or off Hwy 502 somewhere? If so, is it legal and safe to leave a vehicle there for a week?
Yes there is a public landing in VB but you will leave vehicle at your own risk as with anywhere else. Perhaps your resort owner will have means to get your boat into the lake. A tractor or 4-wheeler. If it is a resort I'm certain there will be someone there to give you a hand in launching your boat. You could give'em $5/10. Chaep considering having it left out in the open for all who would wish to do criminal things to something they did not own. Have fun and let me know how the fishing is on Eagle this year. Thinking about trying it again as I've heard that the lake has come back as a walleye lake. Too many places to fish in a lifetime for sure. Good luck, Jim Grand Rapids MN.