Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video
Piranha Props - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Motors and Props

Old 06-10-2011, 05:26 PM
Minnow

Default Piranha Props

I looking 4 a new prop and saw the Piranha props and was wondering if anyone has had and dealings with them. Them seem like a good idea but do they perform as advertised? Any thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-10-2011, 07:20 PM
Slot Fish

Wink I think so, I have no complaints so far.

I think so, I have no complaints so far. I was able to get a replacement prop and 3 spare blades for less than a 3 blade aluminum replacement.

But I'm sure someone will post how they lost 0.75 mph compared to Aluminum or 1.25 mph compared to Stainless Steel. BLA, Bla, bla....

After all I'm a Fisherman and NOT a Boat Racer
Old 06-10-2011, 07:27 PM
Wallhanger

I have a composite prop that came with my boat...if I did not, I'd have a Pirhana on board and it would be my prop of choice for Canada.
Old 06-14-2011, 02:39 PM
Slot Fish

Default Good for what they are for

I ran a piranha prop on my 21 foot Sylvan Offshore for 4 years and on more than one occasion met up with some rocks that caused me to replace a blade or two. They perform alright, similar to a standard aluminum prop I believe. This year I got a new to me Yarcraft with a Merc 150 XR6. It cam with a beat up 21 pitch Laser II prop. That was my first intro to Stainless, vented props. That beat up prop had a pretty darn good hole shot as it was, but I sent it to a local shop in Marquette, Michigan for repair and bought a like new 21 pitch Laser II off this website. I was pleased with the prop and what it did but now my reading got me interested in some more performance type props. I ended up buying a 21 pitch Tempest plus that was in very good condition off this website for a very reasonable price and that performs incredibly on my boat. Giving me a good hole shot and adding 3 mph top end over the Laser !!. I did put a 21 pitch Piranha on my boat for the last few days as I was on a Lake where we had numerous opportunities to hit deadheads and other interesting things known to damage props. It did a good enough job on my boat. We hit a few things and it survived without any significant damage, no blades needed replacing. compare to the Tempest plus it took much longer to get the boat up on plane and top speed was 37 with the Piranha compared to 45 with the Tempest plus. That prop has me spoiled but I will put the Piranha on when it is appropriate.
Old 06-15-2011, 01:31 PM
Keeper

Musher,
You should see what the pitch is on the Piranha blades. I would think you could drop down
to a lower pitch and get better results. I have a 75hp Merc 2-stroke and run a four blade
Piranha 13x20 pitch. The pitch is stamped on the blades. www.piranha.com

The online store is http://stores.ebay.com/Piranha-Propellers

Last edited by SSH; 06-15-2011 at 01:39 PM.
Old 06-15-2011, 09:12 PM
Slot Fish

Default pitch

The pitch on the Piranha was 21 and it was a three blade. I would hit 5600 rpm at WOT.
Don't get me wrong, I like the Piranha props but with my experience with the Tempest this year, the performance was incredible in comparison. Have you ever tried on of the performance stainless props? It changed my mind for sure.
Old 06-16-2011, 08:00 PM
Keeper

I tried the Paranha 4 blade. I don't remember the pitch, but it was less than my 3 bladed aluminum and stainless steel props.

My experience was not good. I lost about 15% in rpm, which was unacceptably too low for the engine; and I lost nearly 10 mph which is about 25% in speed. It was so out of whack I didn't have the patience to see if i could find the right pitch, so I returned it.

I liked the concept, though.
Old 06-17-2011, 08:05 AM
Keeper

I ran these props for a long time on my Lund. They are pretty neat and compared to an aluminum replacement..........they are great. They perform as good as aluminum if not a little better. Keep lotsa extra blades around, I always had a few with me when I went out.