Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video
camping on lac suel islands - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Canada Eh? > Canada

Old 06-20-2011, 07:01 PM
Minnow

Default camping on lac suel islands

I was wondering if you can legally camp (overnight - 5 days) on any islands on lac suel??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-20-2011, 07:27 PM
Charter Member

Default Likely Not, if you are not a resident

Up until about mid/late 80's you could camp about anywhere. We loved Taylor's island and Kekabeca area

Next you had to buy a 'ticket' from a roll much like theater tickets, one for each person, each night. Tickets were available at most sport shops. In the eastern sector this was rigidly enforced by a huge MNR agent with an equally huge sheperd who has a tan Glastron and was everywhere!!

Now in the 90's a new concept came into being. "outfitters" had specified camp site which you rented. It was the responsibility of the outfitter to keep the sites clean. It limited the number of places you could go but I believe the experience was better. Several happy years @ Ojibwa #7

Now the outfitters have "remote" sites, which are cabins, not camp sites

I would check with MNR but I doubt camping is allowed.
Old 06-20-2011, 07:38 PM
Slot Fish

if you are not Canadian you cannot camp on Lac Seul. Clearly stated at all public accesses I have been to.
Old 06-21-2011, 04:30 AM
Keeper

Correct answer.
Old 06-21-2011, 09:03 AM
Minnow

we looked into this 3 years back, there is a legal way to do it but almost impossible to do tactically.
you have to be 500 ft from the water and you cannot leave your boat in the water, it must also be 500ft from the shore. so if you want to camp in the middle of the woods and can drag your boat in 500 ft every night you could try. that is what we found out from mnr office in sioux lookout. The 500 ft may be 500 meters dont remember.
pat
Old 06-21-2011, 09:31 AM
Minnow

Would sleeping on your boat be considered camping? Perhaps use the complete top-set/bimini top to keep the bugs out. Remove the seats and inflate an air mattress. Screened tent on shore to eat and relax in prior to sleeping in boat?
Old 06-21-2011, 01:13 PM
Minnow

after 20+ years up there. no way am i sleeping outside, i have seen and felt some of the storms that come through there. Its bad enough when the houseboat starts a rocking with the real bad storms. can not image 18ft boat. also not sure on the legality of that.
pat

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Walleye Message Central forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.