Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video
Hot tubs - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Old 08-31-2011, 06:26 PM
Keeper

Default What a sour picture.

If you are spending $2k a year you have been drinking way too much of your dealer's Kool-Aid, have done zero research, take terrible care or made an uninformed purchase.

Start here for some bullet points so I dont continue to rant & turn this into a book, http://www.hotspring.com/hot-tubs-101/how-buy-hot-tub . Research on line before you visit a store.

You can use a water care system or be content with plain common household chemicals like chlorine/bleach (dry or liquid), Borax, baking soda & muriatic acid similar to pool mtce if the shell material allows.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-01-2011, 07:03 AM
Wallhanger

WOW - What a bunch of naysayers We have had one for 17 years !!! Ours does NOT sit outside - it sits in a room that provides us a great view when we are in it. I also will disagree on the maintenance and operating costs. I found it adds about $15 a month to the elec. bill. We run it from October to April. If you watch the pH level, you don't need to spend a bunch on Bromide - maybe $5-7/mo. Ours is a 4 person Marquis. It has a good cover for it and the cover STAYS on it when not in use. We keep the temp at 100. It is absolutely great to get in there after an afternoon of snowmobiling - or an afternoon of playing "Paul Bunyan" (aka cutting firewood). Yeah, maybe there is a "beverage" involved also while we're relaxing in it - but having that hot water directed by the jets at the "sore" parts of your body IS very relaxing.
Old 09-01-2011, 07:10 AM
Wallhanger

I had a hot tub in one of my houses once. Like others have said it was fun for about 2 years. When you are the only one taking care of it, it can get to be a pain. The key is staying on top of maintaining the pH levels.

Overall they are a novelty item. I doubt I'll ever get another one.

I was a volunteer fire fighter so cleaning was a breeze. We would use the pumper truck to empty out 650 gallon tub (took about 10 seconds) and refill took about 10 minutes (we couldn't go full blast). Awe, those were fun times.

"Help preserve wolves, take one to the taxidermist.". Author Unknown
Old 09-01-2011, 07:23 AM
Wallhanger

Default Chemicals

For the hot tubs these days you have quite a few different options for chemicals. You don't have to come out of the hot tub smelling like chlorine. The one that we use is Monopersulfate. My hot tub does not have any PH problems and never needs adjustment. For maintenance you put some in every other day. You drain the hot tub 2 or 3 times a year.

And yes an 8 person hot tub will run you about $40 per month or better on the electric bill.

Last edited by PackerBacker; 09-01-2011 at 06:47 PM.
Old 09-01-2011, 01:09 PM
Charter Member

Pokey,
Way too many brews!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-01-2011, 03:47 PM
Wallhanger

Been there, done that-rather have a log home-less work.
Old 09-01-2011, 05:12 PM
Minnow

Default hot tubs

Bought my Colman in 1999, I did the whole ph and bomine thing for about 8 years then I discovered a product called Spa Moss change water twice a year, still use it at less once a week. Love it. Cost about 17 a month (budget for a year.) Find Spa Moss not many dealers carry it. because they give up on the sales chemicals.