Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video
Gun safe survive fire? - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Hunting Central > Archery, Blackpowder, Rifles, Pistols, Shotguns...and whatever else you have.

Old 02-12-2012, 10:44 AM
Wallhanger

Default No gun safe is 100% secure

Years ago my Dad bought a top of the line gun safe to protect his large collection of guns.......house was broken into and they just took the whole safe then stole one of his trucks to haul it away with.....to this day not one of his guns has ever turned up and he had all the model and serial numbers recorded...I think fire is a concern but theft of a gun collection would be more of a concern at least to me it would......B-lou
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-12-2012, 12:44 PM
Wallhanger

I think you could improve the outcome by the placement of the safe. I would place it ina basement and in a corner with block exterior walls. You could also insulate the cieling about with a mineral wool insulation. Depending on the value of the items you might consider having the safe in a fire resistent room.

Mineral wool insualtion will not burn and will provide a thermal barrier. Drywall on both sides of the wall act as a flame barrier.
Old 02-12-2012, 05:34 PM
Wallhanger

I agree with Pooch, I have mine in the basement in a corner, bolted to the wall in several spots and then I blocked it in on the top and the one exposed side. The only thing exposed is the door. Like Pooch said heat rises so put it in the coolest location. The best safe is only good for so long in a hot fire. The heat will distort the frame and then you loose any seal.
Old 02-13-2012, 02:12 PM
Charter Member

Good post!
Old 02-13-2012, 07:05 PM
Minnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by 311Hemi View Post
I would be curious to know what brand safes they were and what the specs were on them.

I asked and he doesn't remember the exact brands and they have no paperwork left as they lost everything. He said he spent 1500 a piece on them and bought them mainly for theft purposes. They were stored on the upper level of a 3 story house and that could have something to do with the out come. He did however have 2 safes that were in the basement with ammo in them and they did not survive as well although they were in better shape.
Old 02-15-2012, 06:29 PM
Charter Member

Check out the specs on the Patriot safes. 2 hour fire rating on many of them. Priced right too.
Old 02-26-2012, 05:08 PM
Wallhanger

I've got a Champion Triumph and I chose it for the fire specs and the heavier steel. You cand check em out on line.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Walleye Message Central forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.