Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video
Would you use such a website? - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Canada Eh? > Canada

Old 02-23-2012, 05:43 AM
Slot Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by teddi View Post
check real outdoors web site. they have a virtual sport show on it with some outfitters on it. they are looking to make it bigger amd better in the future.
That site is new age hope it takes off. One way to help with it would be to ask your outfitter if he has heard of it or plans on joining!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-23-2012, 07:09 AM
Keeper

Default private lake?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikehunters View Post
According to George & Joel local people where hacking into the forum instead of joining. People would be getting info on there lakes & cutting trails to sneak in & fish. One lake that I was on 2 years ago , Lincoln, we had some surprising visitors. Told the pilot on the mid week flight where they came onto the lake at & he followed the trail to a logging road. So much for a private lake! Just goes to show takes 1 or 2 bad apples to ruin the hole bushel.
I think some outfitters may misrepresent that it is their "private" lake. We (locals) don't sneak in to fish a lake, it is our right to fish these lakes. Just because an outfitter may have a boat cache or outpost cabin on the lake does not make it their "private" lake. Many lakes up here can be accessed by towing a boat in with a 4-wheeler, snowmobile, or flying in, I do it all the time. When you fly over and realize the patchwork of logging roads, it is easy to see, a lot of lakes can accessed by 4-wheeler. As far as people picking up information on that website, I don't know, but can say there are few enough people up here and the communities are tight enough, that at lot of locals know about most of the lakes that can be reached by vehicle, and the flying community knows about the rest.
Old 02-23-2012, 07:27 AM
Slot Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywagon View Post
I think some outfitters may misrepresent that it is their "private" lake. We (locals) don't sneak in to fish a lake, it is our right to fish these lakes. Just because an outfitter may have a boat cache or outpost cabin on the lake does not make it their "private" lake. Many lakes up here can be accessed by towing a boat in with a 4-wheeler, snowmobile, or flying in, I do it all the time. When you fly over and realize the patchwork of logging roads, it is easy to see, a lot of lakes can accessed by 4-wheeler. As far as people picking up information on that website, I don't know, but can say there are few enough people up here and the communities are tight enough, that at lot of locals know about most of the lakes that can be reached by vehicle, and the flying community knows about the rest.
Hold the phone! Just passing on what was told to me face to face when I flew out of Bromley last year from George. They advertise that you will be secluded with no interuption. Which gives merit to what you're saying. Same here if you buy a license & stamps you have the rite to fish any commonwealth waters. We where just shocked to see other people on the water.
Old 02-23-2012, 07:46 AM
Slot Fish

That site would be very helpful, most of us come to these sites looking for information. Its funny how we all want to know every detail of a lake, but after the trip....you dont see anyone giving up their spots unless you ask them.
Old 02-23-2012, 08:09 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywagon View Post

The difference here is you're located in N/W Ontario where there's almost more water than land.

The Folyet, Chapleau, Wawa area is much more sensitive with the lakes prone to being overexploited.

The fact is the MNR has implemented access restrictions on most of the lakes in this region with fly in camps. It's not LEGAL to cut a trail into them.

In many cases it's quite easy to access these lakes with a variety of means. If access to these fly in lakes was a free for all these lakes would soon be fished out and a valuable part of the local economy and frankly an important part of our heritage in N/E Ontario would be wiped out.

In the areas in question lakes with fly in outposts comprise less than 10% of the total number. Also the MNR hasn't granted any new commercial land use permits for outpost camps in eons, and they won't be anytime soon. The existing outposts in these regions have been there for many many years and with the many new logging roads that are encroaching, NEED some kind of protection.

I don't think it's too much to ask to protect such a small % of lakes. Not only to help keep the local economy afloat, but for future generations to enjoy.

It's always stuck in my craw just a bit when locals b!tch about the access restrictions. What, is 90% of the lakes in your region not enough for you to exploit? People seem to raise their hackles, right or wrong be d@mned whenever they feel their "precious rights" are being violated.

I make these comments as a native of Ontario and someone who's enjoyed both numerous fly in trips AND bushwhacked countless times into some pretty incredible back lakes.

I've never had any issues finding quality lakes to portage into. Frankly I wouldn't dream of portaging into an outpost lake anyway. The objective for me is soltitude. Why would I go to all that trouble and potentially have outpost anglers buzzing all over the lake?

Obviously a touchy subject with me.

Last edited by Mike Borger; 02-23-2012 at 08:12 AM.
Old 02-23-2012, 03:47 PM
Slot Fish

Hey Ten Horse,

You are basically talking about a virtual All Canada Show.

www.ultimateonlinesportshow.com Is trying to start what you are talking about. The site is in the first stages and when it gets developed more I am sure they will add in extra features like some of the ones you pointed out.
Just like any outdoors site or real sport show, you need to get alot of resorts on board to so there is a nice variety to choose from - to many site only have a few resorts on them, so you don't have much of a choice when searching.

Pikehunters,

Sorry to tell you, but there are resorts in canada that offer all inclusive fishing packages.

Ours is called the Deluxe Plan and it includes:

Breakfast and Dinner in our main lodge, Modern Cabin accommodations, towel and maid service daily. Guide-prepared shore lunch every day. 17.5' Lund outfitter with 50hp Honda, with unlimited gas, all your bait (no limit), any/all beverages (includes pop, beer, wine, cocktails, water, again NO LIMIT), Conservation fishing Lic., Transportation to and from our landing, and a guide for each day of your visit.

Everything is included for 1 price - there are no add ons and no limit regarding consumption of food, fuel, bait, or drinks - I don't care if you drink a case of beer a day and your guided burns 15 gallons of gas driving you around, while you use 2lbs of leeches catching a ton of fish - it's included in your package.

Last edited by Outfitter17; 02-23-2012 at 03:49 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 02-23-2012, 05:18 PM
Minnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by solopaddler View Post
The difference here is you're located in N/W Ontario where there's almost more water than land.

The Folyet, Chapleau, Wawa area is much more sensitive with the lakes prone to being overexploited.

The fact is the MNR has implemented access restrictions on most of the lakes in this region with fly in camps. It's not LEGAL to cut a trail into them.

In many cases it's quite easy to access these lakes with a variety of means. If access to these fly in lakes was a free for all these lakes would soon be fished out and a valuable part of the local economy and frankly an important part of our heritage in N/E Ontario would be wiped out.

In the areas in question lakes with fly in outposts comprise less than 10% of the total number. Also the MNR hasn't granted any new commercial land use permits for outpost camps in eons, and they won't be anytime soon. The existing outposts in these regions have been there for many many years and with the many new logging roads that are encroaching, NEED some kind of protection.

I don't think it's too much to ask to protect such a small % of lakes. Not only to help keep the local economy afloat, but for future generations to enjoy.

It's always stuck in my craw just a bit when locals b!tch about the access restrictions. What, is 90% of the lakes in your region not enough for you to exploit? People seem to raise their hackles, right or wrong be d@mned whenever they feel their "precious rights" are being violated.

I make these comments as a native of Ontario and someone who's enjoyed both numerous fly in trips AND bushwhacked countless times into some pretty incredible back lakes.

I've never had any issues finding quality lakes to portage into. Frankly I wouldn't dream of portaging into an outpost lake anyway. The objective for me is soltitude. Why would I go to all that trouble and potentially have outpost anglers buzzing all over the lake?

Obviously a touchy subject with me.
I have read many of your posts, Solo, both here and on IFC. I tend to agree with your take on most things and also this. But the "Locals" (Canadians) don't. We used to go to Rush Lake with Ivanhoe, and the last ten years, we always had people camping down on the southern end. There was a network of roads from Jerome that led to this spot, and people we talked to said that they had fished, camped, and icefished there for decades. I finally settled it with myself this way: I am driving over 1,300 miles (roundtrip) to get flown in from a paved road. I am going to sleep in a cabin and have a stove and hot water. I won't pull a boat and motor that far.I can't/won't drive the fifty miles over roads that are not kept up and risk flat tires or broken axles. If someone who lives in that area puts in the work, the lake is big enough that we can all fish and have a good time. We never bothered them, they never bothered us. That said, it seems there has been quite a bit of fuss between campers and tourists. 1. The group that was coming out of Rush 3 years ago told us the fellas camping said to them "We're here until Tuesday, after that you guys are free to use the boats on the other lakes". Those were Ivanhoe boats!
2. Tourists think its the outfitter's private lake, and I've read where locals get harassed when they are in a lake fishing. Think they are protecting the lake for the outfitter.
Its become a real hot button up in that area, and people who grew up together and have known each other all their lives are suddenly at odds.
Old 02-23-2012, 08:08 PM
Slot Fish

Its called American plan because in the old days the Americans couldnt possibly bring a weeks worth of food gas bait and boats in to camp from across the border. Show up and fish. Now its easy to stop at Walmart in North Bay or wherever on your way into camp and grab your grocerys etc.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Walleye Message Central forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.