Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video
Ram Mount 4 trolling motor - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Motors and Props

Old 02-25-2012, 10:35 AM
Slot Fish

Default Ram Mount 4 trolling motor

I have a 60inch terrova on the bow of my 1725 proguide and am wondering what size Ram Mount shaft I need to stabalize the head to the pro track for those bumpy rides? Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-25-2012, 10:06 PM
Charter Member

xxx

Last edited by REW; 02-28-2012 at 08:28 PM.
Old 02-27-2012, 09:52 AM
Wallhanger

To me the Ram mounts are a hassle I used a piece of commercial Velcro, or just slide the depth knob down the shaft up agianst the motor drive unit. The only thing we are trying to do is protect the Terrova from self deploying in rough weather.
Old 02-27-2012, 09:58 AM
Wallhanger

Just look on the Ram mounts site, they have a prepackaged trolling motor stablizer. I have one on my boat and it works great, but it is a bit of a pain to put on and off all the time, so I don't use it unless it's a pretty long run in rough water or it's going on the trailer. All in all, it's money well spent in my mind.

I'd reccommend buying it here if you can't find it in town - www.gpscity.ca - I've bought lots of stuff there over the years and they generally have the best price and great service.

Waxy
Old 02-27-2012, 01:20 PM
Charter Member

xxx

Last edited by REW; 02-28-2012 at 08:28 PM.
Old 02-27-2012, 03:40 PM
Lund Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by REW View Post

A very simple stabilizer is a simple block of material, wood, metal, starboard with a notch in the block.
The block is fastened to the gunnel.

In use, the trolling motor is stowed, dropping the shaft into the slot on the block. Generally speaking that is all that is necessary. The head can't bounce if it can't go down. So, normally there is no need to fasten the head down.

Take care
REW
Go across the water at cruising speed in a light chop and let me know how that works out for you. What planet are you on where things only bounce down? R U Serious?

Pssssst. I'd have spare head for your bow mount on hand if you try it.
Old 02-27-2012, 05:02 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lund Man View Post
Go across the water at cruising speed in a light chop and let me know how that works out for you. What planet are you on where things only bounce down? R U Serious?

Pssssst. I'd have spare head for your bow mount on hand if you try it.
I had the same thought, so know instead of moving freely, it's going to be banging against this "support". I'm really not sure how this is a solution to any problem.

Waxy
Old 02-27-2012, 07:17 PM
Slot Fish

get the ram mount that's made for the trolling motors but instead of using the hose clamp to fasten it buy or get a thick rubber band around 1/2 to 1 inch wide and put a snap on either end to secure it. that's what i did and it works great
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	iphone 001.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	330.2 KB
ID:	13993   Click image for larger version

Name:	iphone 002.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	371.8 KB
ID:	13994  
Old 02-28-2012, 09:21 AM
Charter Member

xxx

Last edited by REW; 02-28-2012 at 08:29 PM.
Old 02-28-2012, 09:36 AM
Keeper

I have the Ram mount to hold my trolling motor and use it any time I don't have the motor in the water. Helps keep the motor from bouncing when going down or up the lake and, since we have a bunch of rough roads, helps the motor remain stable when traveling out of the water. The one I have is pretty tall and I have to slant it to get the motor tied onto it, but that's truly not a great big deal, maybe 30 seconds. If you can't take 30 seconds once in a while to protect your investment, why are you out there in the first place?