Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video
Bearing buddies and repacking grease - Page 3 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Trailers

Old 02-25-2012, 06:10 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomP. View Post
I am with REW on this one. The only time I pull my Bearing Buddies is when I notice having to grease the hub way to often to keep the plunger half way out. If the plunger dosen`t hold pressure I no there is a leak somewhere.

good luck to you
Dad shot the little fellow.

Mary had a little pig.
Her father shot it dead.
Now it goes to school with her,
Between two hunks of bread.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-25-2012, 10:15 PM
Charter Member

By the way,
One of the biggest reasons that I am reluctant to remove my bearing buddies for service is the ease with which the tops of the hubs can get bell shaped.

When the hubs get bell shaped, the bearing buddies fall out.

Basically, when servicing the hubs, you need to remove the dust caps or bearing buddies, without "rocking or tilting" the buddies in the ends of the hubs.

If you "rock" the buddies or dust covers, the hubs can easily get bell shaped. But, if you remove the buddies or dust covers without rocking them but - as one of the posts pointed out - by simply twisting them in the hubs, you can get the buddies or dust covers out of the hubs without rocking and potentially belling out the tops of the hubs.

Take care
REW
Old 02-26-2012, 01:05 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by perchjerker View Post
good luck to you

I must live under a Shamrock according to you. I have been dragging boats around for better then 40 years and I have never burned out a bearing.
Old 02-26-2012, 02:53 AM
Keeper

The first time I took my bearing buddies apart was after 3 years of use, everything inside was like brand new, but since I had bought new bearings and seals just in case, I replaced them.
Now I just make sure that I maintain a positive grease pressure in the hubs and keep an eye on the seals for any grease leakage, but never over grease them like I was told by the dealer at the time of my boat purchase.
I tow my boat almost every weekend during summer, always touch & feel the hubs for heat @ every stop. Never a problem, even on the hottest day.
I plan on re-packing them every 5 to 7 years.
Old 02-26-2012, 06:38 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I must live under a Shamrock according to you. I have been dragging boats around for better then 40 years and I have never burned out a bearing.
I am glad for you

Mary had a little pig.
Her father shot it dead.
Old 02-26-2012, 06:47 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Yeah, it took me 35 years before i finally had a flat tire on a trailer. but, I always carried a spare, nonetheless.

HRG
Old 02-28-2012, 10:39 AM
Wallhanger

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by REW View Post
By the way,
One of the biggest reasons that I am reluctant to remove my bearing buddies for service is the ease with which the tops of the hubs can get bell shaped.

When the hubs get bell shaped, the bearing buddies fall out.

Basically, when servicing the hubs, you need to remove the dust caps or bearing buddies, without "rocking or tilting" the buddies in the ends of the hubs.

If you "rock" the buddies or dust covers, the hubs can easily get bell shaped. But, if you remove the buddies or dust covers without rocking them but - as one of the posts pointed out - by simply twisting them in the hubs, you can get the buddies or dust covers out of the hubs without rocking and potentially belling out the tops of the hubs.

Take care
REW
What makes you think that the thick cast iron hub is getting bell shaped and not the thin sheet metal bearing buddy gitting bent??? Wiredog
Old 02-28-2012, 11:17 AM
Wallhanger

REW, gentle whacks to the top bottom left right of the bearing buddy with a rubber mallet shouldn't belmouth a hub. Sheet metal dust covers are not going to deform those stiff thick hubs; you've just distorted your cover. Perhaps you need the help of someone mechanically inclined.
Old 02-28-2012, 10:11 PM
Keeper

Here's my question. Everyone says to keep the Bearing Buddies well greased, but at the same time do not over grease or you will blow a seal. How does one determine when enough is enough? I still have Bearing Buddies on my tiller canoe trailer, but was tired of worrying about the greasing issue and so now have oil bath hubs for my Nav 165 trailer. I have read the BB docs, but still don't really have a clear idea.

Just really what to know how to determine the amount of grease to use.

Thanks in advance!

TB
Old 02-29-2012, 04:31 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by twobearlake View Post
Here's my question. Everyone says to keep the Bearing Buddies well greased, but at the same time do not over grease or you will blow a seal. How does one determine when enough is enough? I still have Bearing Buddies on my tiller canoe trailer, but was tired of worrying about the greasing issue and so now have oil bath hubs for my Nav 165 trailer. I have read the BB docs, but still don't really have a clear idea.

Just really what to know how to determine the amount of grease to use.

Thanks in advance!

TB
you want just enough to be able to rock the plate the zerk fitting it attached to

the directions are on their website

http://www.bearingbuddy.com/why.html

Mary had a little pig.
Her father shot it dead.