Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video
Any Hear Any Rumors About Next Year Lunds? - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Boats

Old 02-25-2012, 03:06 PM
Keeper

Default Any Hear Any Rumors About Next Year Lunds?

Any hear anything about 2013? Don't know if they ever will make a Impact tiller but heard about a revamping of the Alaskans. Anyone know any deep dark secrets?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-25-2012, 03:36 PM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSauers View Post
Any hear anything about 2013? Don't know if they ever will make a Impact tiller but heard about a revamping of the Alaskans. Anyone know any deep dark secrets?
Well, the 2012's are only recently released. Perhaps Lund will start matching Alumacraft for hull thickness.
Look at the pricing of a Lund Rebel and Alaskan(same length) and look at the hull thickness. It is obvious, and stated to me by one dealership(Lund), that the cost is in the aluminum.

Lund/Mercury are the common match of the parent company, Brunswick. It is my understanding - given to me by a Mercury dealer - that all 40/50/60Hp
Mercury outboards are chicom manufactured, and that Mercury is either contemplating, or presently moving other lines to China.
Old 02-25-2012, 03:45 PM
Wallhanger

It is my understanding - given to me by a Mercury dealer - that all 40/50/60Hp Mercury outboards are chicom manufactured, and that Mercury is either contemplating, or presently moving other lines to China.[/quote]

this would not surprise me at all. every Merc under 75HP is currently made in China. I know the small ones like the portables and pro kickers are Tohatsu's. I will buy a Japanese Yamaha long before I will buy a Chinese Merc!
Old 02-25-2012, 04:59 PM
Keeper

I for sure won't be getting a new boat this year. A Impact tiller is what
I'm hoping for. The Pro Guides are more boat than I want and more money. Maybe next year they will come out with one. I'm kind of glad it didn't happen this year. That would have caused much conflict between me and the BOSS. There seems to be a lack of tiller boats in there lineup. From a Rebel XL 1625 to the 1675 Pro guide with nothing in between. Heard rumors of revamping the Alaskans for 2013. There is such a size gap and interior layout design between the 2000 and 1800 that I'm wishing for a 1800 identical to a 2000 just 2 feet shorter.
Old 02-25-2012, 10:50 PM
Minnow

Default 18' Alaskan

I agree. I think the 18' Alaskan would me far more attractive if they backed up the console/windshield one at least one foot. Not a lot of room up front for the bow fisherman, particularly at that depth.
Old 02-26-2012, 05:17 AM
Slot Fish

I have heard that they are going to take advantage of their coupling with Crestliner (now being built side by side in one of their plants) to offer a line of Lund welded hull boats.
Ah...peace in our time.
Jim
Old 02-26-2012, 06:06 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSauers View Post
I for sure won't be getting a new boat this year. A Impact tiller is what I'm hoping for.
Think out of the box. Order a shiny new 1775 impact SS, with a 115 ProXS on the back, and "magically" make the side console disappear, and mount a Big Tiller handle on the OB. Gee, you'd have a 115hp tiller on a 17' class hull, that appears to be within the USCG rating placard,,,,,,,
HRG
Old 02-26-2012, 07:52 AM
Keeper

I was talking to an unnamed dealer who said that the console is easily removable and suggested doing just that. I question the legalities of it . What would the DNR do getting caught in a tiller boat that the plate says console? I don't think they would take that nicely. Does it void any Lund warranty? What about insurance? I'll just wait a little longer. I'm in no rush . Maybe the new Ranger might be the boat of my dreams when it makes the stop in Milwaukee. Then again if a 2004-2007 1800 Explorer pops up for sale.................... My 1600 will hit the For Sale Boards quick.

I would be satisfied with a 90 on that boat. I don't have a clue how hard it would be to turn a wheel motor to Big Tiller. Install a seat base. Maybe a trip to Glen Ellyn Ill. would be in the cards. There's a guy down there who seems pretty good at boat modification.

About Big Tillers. Say I would find a boat 2004-2007 without the BT. I would guess most boats I would be lucky enough to find wouldn't have the BT. In those years. Is it just a matter of bolting it on? Or is it a major project? I'll never be without a BT again.

Last edited by KSauers; 02-26-2012 at 08:07 AM.
Old 02-26-2012, 08:23 AM
Wallhanger

Crestliner has a nice variety of tiller boats.
I think they`re pretty close to Lund in quality but they dont have the sport track gunnels.
I wish crestliner would adopt the gunnel track.
I see you can get a 1600 fish hawk in a tiller.
It`s between the Kodiak and Pro Tiller models. Good compromise in their line.

Last edited by whofan; 02-26-2012 at 08:28 AM.
Old 02-26-2012, 03:01 PM
Wallhanger

Guys, if you look at a new 2012 1775 Impact, you will see 2 Max HP decals on the plate, one for Console steer one for Tiller!!!! So I dont think a Tiller 1775 is too far off. On the China thing, we can all cry about that, where do you think the Small Honda and Yamhas are made, CHINA....I dont remember the HPs exactly, but just like the Horrible Americans, Yamaha and Honda cannot compete with the Chinese, Mercs 40-60 is made in China, the reason, well guess what the #1 selling HP is??? Retails values Vs. Production cost in Fon du Lac.....also, the 30hp Mercs down to 2.5 are Made in Japan by Tohatsu......not China.....