Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video
Ranger - Do you screw/bolt in your front deck extension? - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Boats

Old 03-06-2012, 08:58 PM
Minnow

Default Ranger - Do you screw/bolt in your front deck extension?

Hi

I recently ordered a front deck extension for our 2004 Ranger Reata 180vs (directly from Ranger). The customer service guy from Ranger made reference to the fact that the extension gets screwed into place. However, if I drill into the fiberglass and screw/bolt it into place, it will obstruct the use of the center rod locker and of course, if I, or someone else doesn't want the deck extension in place, you will have holes in the fiberglass.
Does the front deck extension have to be screwed into place? I envisioned a piece that I could drop into place and it would fit snug.

I appreciate your feedback!

H20
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2012, 10:42 PM
Charter Member

Love,
What will happen to the extension - if not fastened -and you get into a heavy blow, so you are running into 5 foot waves. Will the extension stay in place.

Don't say that hitting 5 foot waves will not happen to you. Maybe. But, if you are 10 miles off shore, and the wind picks up, who knows what you will encounter on the way back.

Whatever you do to your boat, and how you do it to your boat, keep the boat, yourself and your passengers safe at all times. You don't want any possibility of anything flying around hitting someone and injuring them.

Be safe
REW
Old 03-07-2012, 05:02 AM
Minnow

Default Picture from ranger

I was looking at the same item for the 2006 Reata 180vs and this is the picture Ranger sent to me when I inquired.

Looks to have hinges to all it to be lifted and then removed as well as a latch with the latch plate screwed down.

Brett
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	deck exstenstion.JPG
Views:	503
Size:	195.2 KB
ID:	14200  
Old 03-07-2012, 07:53 AM
Minnow

BNC -

Thanks for the picture!

The fact that the extension is hinged and can be easily lifted to access the rod locker makes a world of difference.

As you know, a front deck extension on a VS makes a huge difference in bow space, and in my opinion is worth the cost.

I still hate the fact that you have to drill into fiberglass, but it is what it is. I will drag the boat to the Ranger dealer and let them install it. Not worth the risk of screwing up (no pun intended).

Does anyone have a picture of their front deck extension installed?

Thanks!

H20
Old 03-07-2012, 09:11 AM
Minnow

Your Welcome. I actually pick my boat up today, but have been researching some items that I think I would want to add to it and this is one of them.

I'm anxious to get this boat home and get it on the water for the first time this weekend.

I'd love some pics on some things you have done or where you have mounted electronics etc?
What size Trolling motor shaft are you running? I'm going to be ordering a Terrova 80lb and converting from the 12V to the 24V system as well.

Thanks
Brett

Last edited by BNC04; 03-07-2012 at 09:12 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 03-08-2012, 09:59 PM
Minnow

We have only owned our boat for 2 years. We upgraded several things (locators/trolling motor/butt seats), but haven't done anything too out of the box. We have a 24v 80lb Terrova and love it! We went with the shorter shaft, 48", I think.

I am the type that believes in adding what you need and nothing more. I can share a few pictures once the boat comes home.

H20
Old 04-20-2012, 08:35 AM
Minnow

Default Piano Hinge

Quick Question...

Has anyone used piano hinges to secure their front deck opposed to the two hinges that come with the extension?

I don't like the fact that the standard hinges sit above the deck (one could easily stub a toe, or trip over them). The downside is that it eliminates the ability to quickly remove the extension. However, I do not envision removing the front deck extension often (if ever).

I appreciate your input. I am leaning toward using piano hinges - basically identical to the compartments throughout the boat. A nice clean look and everything remains 100% functional.
Old 04-23-2012, 07:22 AM
Paulw23@hotmail.com

Wink deck Ext

I have an Ext on my 211 reata and it has the same lock as the rest of my storage lockers in the boat.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Walleye Message Central forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.