Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
What Musky Lures do you like to throw... - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Muskie Central > General Discussion

Old 03-05-2012, 01:35 PM
Keeper

Default What Musky Lures do you like to throw...

I like to throw any 9" Cisco Kid and for some reason I always end up throwing a red and white clown color on rainy / misty days.
My second choice is always a Mepps Musky Killer with dark colors on dark days and bright colors on sunny days.
I throw these 2 lures 90% of the time.
I do have alot of other musky eye candy with me.
The Double Cowgirls, Suicks, Reef Hawgs and Bobbie Baits and big BullDawgs are just to much for me to throw for more than 20-30 cast's at a time.

Been musky fishing for over 35 years and the Kid and Mepps still work for me...

What are your thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-05-2012, 07:55 PM
Wallhanger

Well I had a seven fish day with the good ol Bobbie bait, so its hard to not use that, but my go to baits are suicks especially the perch round belly and regular in storm Pearson's grinder and mepps musky and giantkillers, spinners and bucktails mostly dark, blacks and purples.

I like to add red to the fronts of jerks. Oh yeah gotta have a tallywacker in black/green and a loon topraider. I could go to LOTW with these six or so, and a few backups of course of the same lures.

I will cast a doublecowgirl about 3 times a year and then back in the box it goes.
Old 03-06-2012, 04:11 AM
Wallhanger

Super Shad Raps. Lokes. Wileys Headshakers. Bulldawgs. Bucktails. More bucktails.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2012, 10:28 AM
Minnow

Grinding large 2 - 3 oz spinner baits through weeds is what usually gets me hooked up. Love cisco kid top water and topraiders too.
Old 03-08-2012, 11:40 AM
jaximus

i have quite an assortment of muskie stuff and i pretty much only use the same 4 lures. black maribou orange blade mepps muskie killer, mepps of the same with purple maribou and silver blade, a blackbird top raider, and a firetiger cisco kip topwater. 80% of the time its the black/orange mepps. i fish stained wisconsin river water.
Old 03-08-2012, 11:01 PM
Slot Fish

Pretty new to the musky gig but I will throw my .02 in. Musky killer spinners, whopper plopper and top raider, Super Shad Rap, Sebile Stick Shad and Rapala Subwalk and a big chatterbait by Zman are the mainstays for my trip to LOTW although I would throw any chaterbait I just got mine for 4 bucks so couldn't say no.

I have some Storm Kickin sticks that I added some lead to teh hooks that I am excited to try on stripers here in MA and then up in Canada for the skis. Similar to the Sebile Magic swimmer without the price tag
Old 03-15-2012, 07:46 AM
Wallhanger

Whopper Popper, green Believer, black Suick, black or white Bucktails or bigger spinner baits are probably the most used.

As I'm getting older I find I don't care to throw the big baits all day either, so I mix in some smaller stuff, and even troll for a while to rest, Believer is my favorite trolling lure.

Al
Old 03-15-2012, 10:26 AM
Wallhanger

I like believers, and black bulldawg. The manta glide is nice. And of course, my go to bait, a white crappie weagle.
Old 03-15-2012, 11:10 AM
Minnow

After more than 30 years, I'm at that point in my muskie fishing that it's now how I catch 'em rather than how many. I just can't wait for the sun to settle below the tree tops and the lake goes calm and I'm on one of my best spots and I can clip on a Jackpot or Hawg Wobbler and watch as Jaws comes out of the deep and stalks that topwater bait for a few feet before engulfing it....It doesn't get any better than that!...Now, if the pressure is on to produce a fish I'm going to be throwing a perch M&G spinner bait or a 6" Reef Hawg or a small bucktail in a dark color, period! Iv'e got probably several hundred baits and I can say in all honesty that I probably use maybe 6 baits all year! You dance with the one who brung ya...
Old 03-21-2012, 05:46 PM
Minnow

Black or Yellow double spin bucktails.