Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video
Charging trolling batt. 24v - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Old 03-26-2012, 10:30 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJJMN View Post
You don't need to disconnect anything! Just connect one charger or one bank of multi bank... to each battery. A charger works on what's connected between the + and - terminals, it isolates 1 battery when connected correctly. I had this same quesiton when I upgraded to 24volt Terrova. Think about it, if this was an issue wouldn't chargers be sold as 24 volt and 36volt. There sold as 12 volt, 1, 2, and 3 bank. Each bank charges 1 12 volt battery. We would also see Minn Kota selling battery disconnect switches just for charging your batteries. I don't want to offend anyone on this but trying to find an answer to this question is clouded by a lot of miss information on this site. Again, sorry if I have offended anyone.

In remembrance of those that gave the "Ultimate" Sacrifice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-26-2012, 12:40 PM
Charter Member

A very simple way to charge your battery is to buy a stand a lone 24 volt battery charger.

Then, either connect the charger to the + and - terminals of the 24 volt battery, or pick up an additional trolling motor plug and put clips on the end of the plug wires. Then , simply connect the charger to the trolling motor plug correctly and plug the charger plug into the trolling motor socket on the boat and plug the charger into the wall. That way, you don't have to get down to hook to the batteries in the boat.

http://www.google.com/products/catal...d=0CJsBEPMCMAA#

REW
Old 03-26-2012, 12:52 PM
Charter Member

I used to do that all the time, as Hawker and other stated, it works fine.

In my case - the standalone chargers were not as "automatic" as the Marine chargers are - so depending on your charger, you may want to assure you remove the charger promptly to avoid over-charging, and negatively effecting the life of your batteries.

The biggest benefit for me was the automatic nature of Marine multi-bank chargers. They do a great job protecting from over-charging.

It worked for me when funds were tight.
Old 03-26-2012, 01:57 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burr View Post
In my case - the standalone chargers were not as "automatic" as the Marine chargers are - so depending on your charger, you may want to assure you remove the charger promptly to avoid over-charging, and negatively effecting the life of your batteries.

The biggest benefit for me was the automatic nature of Marine multi-bank chargers. They do a great job protecting from over-charging.

It worked for me when funds were tight.
Well said Burr!! Whenever funds will allow though "Wondering", it would be in your best interest to pick up and install a "quality" 2 or even 3 bank charger and install it! However,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, if you have two (2) portable battery chargers on hand at present, clip'em on and get to charging, you'll be good to go!!

In remembrance of those that gave the "Ultimate" Sacrifice!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Walleye Message Central forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.