Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video
Sylvan Boats - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Boats

Old 03-09-2012, 07:07 PM
Keeper

Default Sylvan

I just traded a 96 Sylvan pro select 17 in. It was a good boat and I never had any issues with it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-09-2012, 08:47 PM
Wallhanger

Default sylvan

This may be a little off the thread subject but "Sylvan" tripped my trigger. The first boat I ever actually bought was a late 80s 15 foot Sylvan Sea Monster with a POS 40 hp Mariner 4 cyl. Payed $2400. Had no idea what I was buying but found out that it was beat to heck. Sold the Mariner and bought a Merc 45 hp 4 cyl. That was POS too. Carb issues. So after a year and one trip to Devils I thought I would fix the soft spot in the floor. Four months later I had stripped it to the hull, replaced the floor, installed an infloor rod locker for 5-7' rods. Hand fabricated a new console. All new carpet. Completely rewired. Built a huge back casting deck with major storage. Found a 50hp 4 stroke Evinrude for $1500. Added a new trolling motor. Repainted the entire boat and fixed all leaks. I finished it in October. Fished out of it 2 times and traded it in for a brand new boat. Got $3800 for trade. They sold it 2 days later for $5600. NEVER AGAIN. I worked my a$$ of on that boat. No way I came out money wise. Learned alot though. DON'T BUY JUNK!!! You will regret it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Sylvan Boat rebuild 001.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	279.1 KB
ID:	14246   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sylvan Boat rebuild 052.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	340.7 KB
ID:	14247   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sylvan Boat rebuild 048.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	376.9 KB
ID:	14248  
Old 03-09-2012, 10:21 PM
Charter Member

I've owned a 17 foot Sylvan pro select since '97. rated for 150 hp. have a 90 on it. Been a great boat for me. Light hull so not the best rig in wind/waves. Just replaced the rear livewell and aerator this year. Other than that it has been general maintenance. HULL has no leaks to this day. Never has. Only water getting in the hull is if the livewell(s) overflow into the boat(running full livewells in rough water). Must not be sealed very well at the top but an easy fix if I wanted to.

I keep looking for a newer/new boat every year because I don't have some of the nice luxury items I'd like to have, but this one is paid for and works just fine for what I need.

So it is 15 years old this year, had it since new. If you take care of it, it will take care of you.
Old 03-10-2012, 08:26 AM
Minnow

I had a 1989 Sylvan Pro Fisherman and I was very happy with it. I used that boat a lot and it held up well.

Good luck and I hope it works out for you.
Old 03-10-2012, 05:48 PM
Wallhanger

Default So true you get what you pay for

Would I rather have a cherry boat now or one with transom and floor issues I would gladly pay the premium for perfect rig. I am asking 110percent more than similar boat because I can tell it's a pile of turd. Is new Sylvan now part of Starcraft/Smokercraft
Old 03-10-2012, 07:03 PM
Minnow

I have a 97 Sylvan 16.5ft with a 90 Merc. Never any issues with the boat. Run it on LOTW since I've had it.
Old 03-30-2012, 02:56 PM
Minnow

Dean,
Where did you trade it off at? I just purchased this same boat that matches this description.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean3 View Post
Just traded one off a few days ago.

Had it for 12 years,
Excellent family fishing boat , fast hull ,and with my optimax, got great gas mileage, if i kept the rpm at 3500.
2 30gallon livewells each with a bait bucket
It was also well built,

Any other questions, just ask.
Dean
Old 03-30-2012, 03:14 PM
Keeper

I'm running a 16' Sylvan Super Snapper 1995 with a 30 horse Merc tiller on the back and it has worked great for me so far. Built a casting deck on the front for bass fishing that is suprisingly steady. Have a Minn Kota Edge bow mount mounted to the front of it. Fishes two guys with ease usually.
Old 03-30-2012, 06:08 PM
dean3

Default sylvan

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmschoen View Post
Dean,
Where did you trade it off at? I just purchased this same boat that matches this description.
Central iowa
Old 03-30-2012, 08:42 PM
Minnow

Brightwell's in Des Moines? Send me a pm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean3 View Post
Central iowa