Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video
Ruined a die today - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Hunting Central > Archery, Blackpowder, Rifles, Pistols, Shotguns...and whatever else you have.

Old 04-01-2012, 07:57 PM
Charter Member

Default Ruined a die today

I was full length sizing some used 22-250 brass and stuck a cartridge today and actually ruined a die. I've stuck cases in this die before, but this time there is no saving the die.

Any online forums about this problem that you guys know of? I wonder if there was a problem with this particular die. I'm ordering a new full length die tonight. (RCBS dies)

Pooch

"Human beings seldom think for themselves... For the most part, members of our species simply repeat what they are told and become upset if they are exposed to any different view. The characteristic human trait is not awareness but conformity... We are stubborn, self-destructive conformists. Any other view of our species is just a self-congratulatory delusion."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-01-2012, 08:58 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pooch View Post
I was full length sizing some used 22-250 brass and stuck a cartridge today and actually ruined a die. I've stuck cases in this die before, but this time there is no saving the die.

Any online forums about this problem that you guys know of? I wonder if there was a problem with this particular die. I'm ordering a new full length die tonight. (RCBS dies)

Pooch
I switched to Lee FL dies for my .223. If a stuck case is still in one piece you can drive it out with a hammer with out ruining the die. I also switched to Hornady One Shot case lube. I broke a lot of decapping pins with RCBS dies. 5 yrs and thousands of .223 reloaded and no broken pins with the Lee FL dies. Google reloading dies, a lot of good info out there.
Old 04-01-2012, 08:59 PM
Minnow

Default Stuck Casing

Were you full length resizing or just neck sizing? If you are using the brass in the same rifle you fired it out of there is no need to full length resize them and by neck sizing only, there is less stretching of the brass that would require less trimming to get the overall brass length back to acceptable limits. I've reloaded several thousand rounds of 22-250, neck sizing them only and never got one stuck in the die. I was also fairly anal about reaming the inside of the neck so they were all uniform in inside diameter. This and other measures I would use enabled fairly consistent hits on woodchucks out to 500 yards. One other thing you might want to do if you haven't already is to put the brass in a tumbler or vibrator prior to using a resizing die to get any dirt and grime off of the brass. This can build up inside the die. Good luck with your next resizing die.
Old 04-01-2012, 09:02 PM
Minnow

Default Stuck Casing

I believe RCBS also sells neck sizing dies so you don't have to worry about resizing the body. Of course if you notice it getting harder to chamber your reloaded rounds then a full length resizing might be in order.
Old 04-01-2012, 10:32 PM
Charter Member

I was full length resizing brass from my old 22-250 for use in a newer gun.

Normally I only resize the neck if reloads are going back through the same gun.

All brass goes through the tumbler before reloading.

22-250 seems to be a problem for me as I also have resized and reloaded thousands of 223 rounds with never in hint of problem.

Could it be that the old gun breech was out of spec and stretching the brass too much?

I'm hoping it was a die problem. Still chaps me though. Will see in a few days.

Thanks fellows,
Pooch

"Human beings seldom think for themselves... For the most part, members of our species simply repeat what they are told and become upset if they are exposed to any different view. The characteristic human trait is not awareness but conformity... We are stubborn, self-destructive conformists. Any other view of our species is just a self-congratulatory delusion."
Old 04-02-2012, 12:45 PM
Keeper

I got a 243 stuck in a die full length resizing it earlier this year. It was the first one of the batch and I think something got sticking in the die. I tried everything and there was no getting that case out.

FYI I full length these because they feed easier into the chamber than neck sized cases and since this is for my young daughter anything to make working the bolt easier it better.
Old 04-02-2012, 02:08 PM
Wallhanger

You tried your stuck case removal tool? When I tried that spray-on case lube, my case removal tool got quite a bit of work.
Old 04-02-2012, 07:43 PM
Charter Member

I used a case removal tool to no avail. Since the die was already junk, just for the heck of it I took the die down to the shop and warmed it then tried using an easy out. It was a long shoot and doomed to fail and it didn't disappoint! I'm assuming the brass warmed up quicker than the die and just got tighter.

Old die is now a conversation piece on the reloading bench.

Pooch

Old 04-05-2012, 11:24 AM
Minnow

If I'm not mistaken, I read something the other night about putting the die with the stuck case into the freezer to help free it.
Old 04-05-2012, 10:00 PM
Wallhanger

don't know what type of case lube you're using. I made the switch to Imperial sizing die wax years ago, and never looked back. I also load for a 22-250 and have never got any case, for any caliber, stuck while using this product. also use different make dies, including RCBS.