Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video
243 rifle - Page 4 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Hunting Central > Big Game Hunting

Old 03-25-2012, 06:27 PM
Wallhanger

Ah, the best deer rifle is chambered for 257 Roberts, 6.5X55mm "Swede", or a300 Savage(but only if the Savage is a model 99 rifle).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-25-2012, 08:08 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by antlers & eyes View Post
I disagree, maybe the most common, but not the best. there is no best. there are a lot of people that don't really know much about bullets and calibers. today compared to 50 years ago, we have so many choices of bullets that are designated to each caliber. bullet construction is far more important than the size of the cartridge. a 243 is a great gun. if you want a caliber that has minimal kick and great balistic charactoristics, you may want to look at a 7mm-08. there are so many choices out there today as far as good calibers, it is hard to go wrong as long as you use the correct bullet.
Well said. I recommend the 7mm-08 to all my friends who want to get their kids into deer hunting.

"Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end." Author Unknown
Old 04-04-2012, 12:42 PM
Wallhanger

Remington .308. I use it for everything, love that caliber....
Old 04-04-2012, 02:00 PM
Keeper

270 or 308 for me. When I hunt the woods the 308 works better for me with a 165 grain bullet. the 270 is a flat long range IMHO
Old 05-05-2012, 02:36 PM
Slot Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh really View Post
With info like that i can see why you would not enter into gun conversatoins. Really the only difference between a bull barell and a sporter is how fast it heats up. BBl length may make a few fps difference. Explain to me the really good ballistics on the .308. I am a .308 pimp but there are much better options if you are looking at ballistics only perspective. If some one cant kill a deer with a .243 they need to hang up the gun and call it quits. The main problem is people dont practice and shoot deer in the guts and blame the gun. It goes shot placement, bullet constucttion and head stamp as the least important
This kind of response is exactly why I don't normally get involved with gun conversation. All I did was share my experience with a .243. When you put 2 shots of a .243 right through both lungs of a whitetail standing broadside at 75 yards and the deer just stands there wondering what the noise is all about its time to hang up the .243. For the third shot I took him in the head. Even my son only hunted with his .243 one year as he had the same kind of experience.

PS: I have never crippled or lost a deer in 44 years of gun hunting.
Oh and did I mention that I really, really like my .308.
Old 05-05-2012, 02:58 PM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by 38bill View Post
This kind of response is exactly why I don't normally get involved with gun conversation. All I did was share my experience with a .243. When you put 2 shots of a .243 right through both lungs of a whitetail standing broadside at 75 yards and the deer just stands there wondering what the noise is all about its time to hang up the .243. For the third shot I took him in the head. Even my son only hunted with his .243 one year as he had the same kind of experience.

You're trying to tell us that the difference in the thickness of the barrel makes a difference on the ballistic performance when the bullet hits the animal? IF so you have no clue about ballistics and bullet performance. Maybe you should look at the actual bullets you were shooting instead of the caliber of them. Or maybe look at your shooting because a well made 243 bullet (designed for deer) will kill any whitetail that ever walked if put through it's lungs. There are of course always that odd shot that doesn't kill as quick as you would think but that can happen with any caliber, sometime stuff just happens! I shot a little buck right through the lungs with a 375 H&H and it ran 100yds and the next deer I shot with it (within about 3" of the same spot) dropped on the spot. Using one example is not a very good statistic.
Old 05-05-2012, 03:21 PM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by 38bill View Post

Yep seen a buck shot square in the front shoulder wit a 243 and deer just ran away never to be seen again....Now if that was 30-06 it would of blown off both front shoulders and the deer would be trying to run with just 2 feet!!!!
Old 05-08-2012, 06:49 AM
Keeper

Default yep

if you were shooting a 85 tsx and hit the deer in the front shoulder it would be dead where it stood. Not using proper bullets and placeing them correctly is not the guns fault. I have seen a deer shot in the lungs with a .375 ultra mag run off and found 500 plus yards away. it is 2012 not 1956 any more if people would use properly constucted projectiles and shoot more than 10 times a year they would not see such issues. I have shot pdogs with my 308 that have crawled back in their hole i must be under guned. placement,construction, headstamp is how it goes for some i would just stick to fishing the way it sounds here.
Old 05-10-2012, 06:08 PM
Slot Fish

Could it be that the .243 was fast enough and had a small enough (bullet) projectile, that when the deer was
hit in the lungs, that the bullets passed clean through without expanding ?
Old 05-10-2012, 06:53 PM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by suntracker View Post
if you were shooting a 85 tsx and hit the deer in the front shoulder it would be dead where it stood. Not using proper bullets and placeing them correctly is not the guns fault. I have seen a deer shot in the lungs with a .375 ultra mag run off and found 500 plus yards away. it is 2012 not 1956 any more if people would use properly constucted projectiles and shoot more than 10 times a year they would not see such issues. I have shot pdogs with my 308 that have crawled back in their hole i must be under guned. placement,construction, headstamp is how it goes for some i would just stick to fishing the way it sounds here.

Maybe you just blew a leg off the prarie dog!!!!!Did you stick your head in the hole to find out?????

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Walleye Message Central forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.