Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video
Safety Harness Recommendation - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Hunting Central > Archery, Blackpowder, Rifles, Pistols, Shotguns...and whatever else you have.

Old 11-24-2011, 01:38 PM
Wallhanger

Summit Seat O The Pants. Regarless of what harness you choose to wear, it should be worn at all times (climbing up into the tree, climbing down out of the tree and sitting in the stand) no matter what stand your hunting out of. I know a couple guys who have fallen for various reasons and lived to tell about it. Unfortunately a bow hunter did not survive a fall in my area a couple weeks ago. He was not wearing a harness. An awful chance to take!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-25-2012, 07:57 PM
Minnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzuki View Post
Unless you hunt from an open stand and/or require the harness to lean out I question the need for one once in your stand. Your not going to fall then. You fall climbing in and out or on the way up or down.
The correct tool would be a safety line all the way up and down the tree. I know they sell them now because by brother uses one.
If you are going up the tree with some form of step , screw in , strap on etc , safety lines are a good idea , I almost exclusively use a climber and I tie my safety harmess off to the tree before I go up and stay hooked up till I get back down , moving the strap as I go , as far as not needing a harness when in a stand , I have two friends that got life flighted the same night with exactly that mentality , one is in a wheel chair for the rest of his life , the others back is basically one steel rod and will never work again , any stand can break with you in it , anyone can slip in a tree stand , macho thinking about safety harnesses is going to eventually get you hurt

as far as the corect tool being a safety line , it is part of a correct set up , not " THE " correct set up
Old 03-29-2012, 12:14 PM
Charter Member

Well thanks for correcting me there mr internet policeman.
Old 03-29-2012, 02:49 PM
Wallhanger

Look at the strap that is supposed to save you. There should be a folded and sewn section that's designed to tear somewhat slowly to save your upper body from the shock of hitting the end of the strap at full speed.
The harnesses we used at work resembled a parachute harness. The reinforced vests (with leg straps) that are held together with multiple strong buckles look really nice to me, but theyre probably not OSHA approved.
Old 04-02-2012, 08:52 AM
Minnow

Quote:
Unless you hunt from an open stand and/or require the harness to lean out I question the need for one once in your stand. Your not going to fall then. You fall climbing in and out or on the way up or down.
The correct tool would be a safety line all the way up and down the tree. I know they sell them now because by brother uses one.
A guy I know was in his tree stand and fell asleep. He went for a tumble.
He was out alittle to late the night before.
Old 04-12-2012, 06:29 PM
Minnow

Quote:
Well thanks for correcting me there mr internet policeman.
No policeman here , just know 2 guys ( tough guys like you ) that have had their lives completely ruined , 1 was a teenager that that now has his 70 yr old parents trying to push his 250+ pound lifeless body where ever he goes , this has been his life for 30 yrs , the other was in his early 20s , his wife has had to earn the living for the family and take care of him because he hasnt the physical ability to do much for himself ,this also for 30+ yrs , 2 hunters lives changed forever , 2 families with their world turned upside down .......... FOREVER ....... just because safety harnesses are not needed by tough guys , I turn 60 this yr and will be using my harness every time out , been bow hunting for 35 yrs and before harnesses were common hunting equipment , my hunting buddies and I were making our own from seat belts from cars , I am very fond of my wife , I will not ruin her life because I didnt wear my safety harness , you go ahead , break your neck , break your back , whatever ............ but for Gods sake man , think of your family and what a serious injury to you would do to them , I sincerely hope you dont find out the hard way
Old 04-15-2012, 01:43 AM
Minnow

I spent a while researching vest and finally decided on Gorilla G15 harnesses for myself and my son. Easy on and easily adjustable, nice system. If anyone thinks they won't fall think again. Nearly 30 years in the the construction field and only a few minor incidents, 10 years of tree stand hunting with no close calls. This year I slipped off my Gorilla Lounger after the base became slick from moisture freezing on the platform. I fell 22' and broke both heels, and I consider myself VERY lucky. Never again will me or my family members be in a stand without a harness.
Old 04-15-2012, 09:46 AM
Keeper

Scoutmaster, Please look into having a lifeline on each of your stands. This way you are never off the ground without being attached to a safety line because IMHO the most dangerous times is when you are getting into and out of your stand and at this time lineman's belts and vests without a lifeline attached do you no good. Lifelines are only about $25-$30 a piece and you can make them yourself out of quality rope for even less but are worth it!
Old 04-16-2012, 11:53 PM
Slot Fish

I have had the pleasure of spending more time in a tree then most guys (even at a younger age) due to being a contracted sharp-shooter ( does only )with my 101st. I give you props for wanting and actively looking for a harness to wear while hunting in a tree. I was one of those tough guys who lucked out. I fell from about 15 foot and landed on my back. After twenty mins of laying there I was lucky enough to get back up. I won't climb a tree without being safe about it now and I would recommend that you spend the extra time and money buying one that is comfortable and as stated before try it out with a friend. From one hunter to another take it seriously and money shouldn't be any option in altering your decision. Try them on as if your buying a suit for a wedding; get fitted with something that feels good. Let us know what you've picked and shoot true
Old 07-26-2012, 01:56 PM
Wallhanger

I haven't been back here for awhile, but since I am I'm glad to report I bought a vest and a climbing strap. Sorry I don't know all the names of this stuff, but, I'm 60 now, and thanks to this protective gear it's fun being in a tree again. Thanks to all those that responded.