Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video
Did an experiment: Ethanol, versus non-ethanol - Page 5 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Bone Orchard > WC Bone Yard

Old 04-26-2012, 12:00 PM
Reality Check

Default The Great Ethanol Myth

I used to be one of the biggest supporters of ethanol. Due to many of the reasons mentioned here and elsewhere my thinking has changed. Now, I believe the use of Ethanol as an alternative fuel in the USA was a flawed concept from the beginning.
I wish Ethanol would have been a cost effective fuel source, Sadly it isn't. The internal combustion motors alone that have gone down to ethanol damage have been at a staggering cost to consumers. paying more to get less mileage has hurt us all.
Get mad, call people names, but the bottom line is Ethanol as an acceptable alternative source of fuel for the consumer has been a big rip off. We as consumers have been sold a bad bill of goods.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-26-2012, 12:02 PM
Wallhanger

[QUOTE=Superfishman186;1426762]It is BS that Ethanol is creating jobs??? I happen to have one of those BS jobs, and let me say that the ignorance about ethanol makes me sick. If you have a better additive for gasoline that does not harm the environment and Will directly replace MTBE than why don't you tell us???[/QUOTE]

How about just straight gasoline? And not something the gov't has to subsidize at $.50 a gallon. How about something that doesn't use more natural resources like Nat Gas and water to make it. How about something that doesn't raise the cost of food and raise our taxes to subsidize it. Makes sense hey? And to say ethanol is clean burning is also NOT true.

And i agree MBTE isn't good for the environment either. Why do we need anything? we don't need to suplement our gas with this crap or the E crap. Just straight gas is fine with me. We have plenty of oil in the US too. And i have to say it again, E-10 gas does NOT make the environment any better. In fact their is a growing belief that it may be worse for the enviro than straight gas.

Last edited by wallymn99; 04-26-2012 at 12:06 PM.
Old 04-26-2012, 12:08 PM
Keeper

[QUOTE=wallymn99;1426812]How about just straight gasoline? And not something the gov't has to subsidize at $.50 a gallon. How about something that doesn't use more natural resources like Nat Gas and water to make it. How about something that doesn't raise the cost of food and raise our taxes to subsidize it. Makes sense hey? And to say ethanol is clean burning is also NOT true.[/QUOTE]

Well why don't you try to help?? If there is some magical substance better than MTBE or Leaded gasoline that is somehow cleaner burning than ethanol what is it??? Ethanol is the better of the three. Ethanol is in no way intended to be a complete replacement for gasoline, it is simply added because of its higher octane and oxygenation factor.
Old 04-26-2012, 12:11 PM
Keeper

[/QUOTE]
And i agree MBTE isn't good for the environment either. Why do we need anything? we don't need to suplement our gas with this crap or the E crap. Just straight gas is fine with me. We have plenty of oil in the US too. And i have to say it again, E-10 gas does NOT make the environment any better. In fact their is a growing belief that it may be worse for the enviro than straight gas.[/QUOTE]

You do not understand. The straight gas you refer to that is E0 correct? Well E0 contains MTBE and is far worse for us than E10 that is the whole idea, Ethanol is replacing the MTBE that is in the straight gas you praise so much. Sure you will get slightly less gas mileage on the E10 but it is cleaner.
Old 04-26-2012, 12:18 PM
Wallhanger

[QUOTE=Superfishman186;1426809]Well if the government said "teamlund will you pay for gas that gets you worse gas mileage but pollutes the air a little less?" You would probably say no, but the fact remains that the amount of contamination to ground water and the air we breath is less than if we were still producing and burning Millions of gallons of MTBE.

I am in no way saying that ethanol will completely replace gasoline, But it is doing its part to help in the small 10-20% ranges by replacing other chemicals know to cause lung cancer. Is E85 worth buying??? **** no but that is a choice people can make for themselves. Is E10 worth buying?? I say yes because it contains less carcinagens than E0.[/QUOTE]

Its bad news for this country when we have folks that are willing to allow the government to decide "what is good for you".....The american people should be deciding whats good for them, not having crap crammed down own throats and told its good for us by a bunch of beaurcrats!
Old 04-26-2012, 12:26 PM
Wallhanger

[QUOTE=Superfishman186;1426759]NO NO NO, It is a replacement for a chemical called MTBE, [B]methyl tertiary butyl ether, which is bad for the air and groundwater, Unfortunately it is needed to boost the octane of the fuel, We are replacing it with ethanol, It does the same job and is harmless to the environment. [/B][/QUOTE]

Thanks for the info Super. I did not know of the MTBE angle. What percentage of ethanol needs to be added to "straight" gas to eliminate the need for MTBE? How is MTBE made and what is it made from? And what's the reason for E85 gas-surely we don't need 85% ethanol to boost octane? And why make ethanol from corn? Wouldn't switchgrass or some other crop which yields more distillable "stuff" per acre be better and cheaper? And if it is necessary, why are we subsidizing ethanol? Is MTBE subsidized? I'd like your thoughts.