Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video
Any experience with a .17 HMR? - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Hunting Central > Archery, Blackpowder, Rifles, Pistols, Shotguns...and whatever else you have.

Old 04-07-2012, 10:10 PM
Keeper

Default Any experience with a .17 HMR?

Have you had any experience with a .17 HMR? I'm looking at buying a Savage Heavy Barrel for gopher (mini prairie dog) hunting. I want something other than a .22 or .22 magnum. I was thinking about a .223 but we usually go through anywhere from 100 to 1000 rounds each day we are out, so I don't know if I want something with that much bark. I'm not good at remembering ear plugs when gopher hunting!

Any suggestions would be great. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-08-2012, 07:59 AM
Keeper

Default .17 hmr

i have that exact rifle mine is stainless with the composite stock it has a 6-18 tasco scope and it is a tack driver it would be very difficult to find a more accurate rifle the only thing is the rifling will foul up after about 10 rounds and you will have to run a brush and a clean patch down the bore , the whisle pigs dont like this rifle if you can hold it it will put the bullet right where you want it , a very snappy bullet when shooting the hornaday v-max bullet, love the rifle also you will need a cleaning rod small enough to go into the bore a .22 cleaning rod is to large

Last edited by WALLEYE651; 04-08-2012 at 08:04 AM.
Old 04-08-2012, 07:36 PM
Keeper

Thanks for the info! I never thought of needing a different cleaning rod for it, but I guess it only makes sense since it is only a .17 cal. How have you found it in the wind? I'm sure it must drift pretty good in a stiff breeze. Would you say it is similar to a .22 LR at 50 to 80 yards for wind drift? Either way, I think I'll be picking up one this week.

A friend of mine told me about the sweet 17 scope BSA makes. I took a look at the reviews and it seems to be decent. It seems a little gimmicky considering the low price, but I may have to try one. Any thoughts on the sweet 17 scope? I'd probably only go with the 9X and not the 12X unless someone can convince me otherwise.
Old 04-08-2012, 10:27 PM
Charter Member

I have had that same rifle for over 5 years (or longer) and it is a tack driver.

Great shooter out to 250+ depending on the wind...it is a light bullet (17 or 20 grain)

Great rifle and fun to shoot.
Old 04-09-2012, 05:08 AM
Wallhanger

I have the stainless heavy barreled Savage with a Mueller 4.5-14 scope. It is a tack driver, but shoots best when it is a little dirty. If I just cleaned it the first 10 shots may be a bit wide (Maybe a 2.25" group at 100 yards) the next hundred will all be MOA or better. (an inch or less). I have a cleaning rod and bore guide for it, but it doesn't seem to want or need to be that clean. I just run a bore snake through it a couple of times and it is cleaner than it wants to be to shoot well. The bore guide specifically for the Savage was a toughie to track down, its a Possum Hollow #115. Use brass or teflon coated rods in your .17's only. Plain steel rods in that small bore is asking for trouble.
Old 04-09-2012, 09:28 AM
Minnow

Default .17 HMR cleaning "rod"

Cut off about 30" of heavy "weed-wacker" mono cord. Use a propane torch to heat a flat piece of metal (best held in a bench vise). Press one end of the cord against the hot metal to form a flat on one end of the cord. On the other end of the cord, use a razor blade to make a diagonal cut.

I use store bought .17 cal. patches made from either non-woven fabric or woven cotton. WARNING: The flat on the cord is prone to "pull through" paper toweling and lodge in the barrel creating an unsafe situation!

Poke the sharp end of the cord through the center of the patch and slide it down to the flat end. Put a drop or two of you favorite bore cleaner on the patch. Open the bold on your rifle and insert the sharp end of the cord into the breech and push it through until the sharp end protrudes through the muzzle. Pull the patch through the barrel. Repeat as often as it comes out dirty. Finish with a couple clean dry patches.
Old 04-11-2012, 07:12 PM
Keeper

I honestly think the 17 is the best rimfire caliber available, minimal report, no recoil, a laser to 100 yards, useful to 150 in most cases, I really cant say enough about it.

I personally run an Anschutz 1517 MPR with a bushnell 4200 6-24, I routinely shoot starlings out to 125 yards with relative ease, It shoots sub MOA on demand.

Wind is the big issue with the 17, ive seen heavy winds push it more than an inch off POA at 100 yards. But if you pay any attention at all its easy to compensate for, shooting starlings for example, a common hold for me is to simply hold to one side of the bird or the other, squeeze off the shot and the result is a dead bird.

I have killed critters up to a small dog in size and havent had any issues putting down animals. I have shot a pile of feral cats and racoons and have never had an issue.
Old 04-11-2012, 09:03 PM
Slot Fish

Thumbs up

Great gun to own! I have a cheaper .17HMR with a bull barrel that's made by Marlin with a bushnell 3 x 9 prostaff. Here again the gun is an absolute tack driver. Had mine out last week and was 3 for 3 through a coke bottle cap at about 110 yards. The last comment with the wind was spot on as well.
Old 05-03-2012, 05:08 PM
Keeper

Thanks for the replies.

I bought the Savage Heavy barrel stainless/synthetic and have had it out a few times now. Now that I have used it, I don't think I can go back to a .22 for gophers. My only issue is the 5 shot clip that comes with it. I am forever reloading. I did find an aftermarket 10 shot clip and should have 2 of them any day now. That should cut down my time reloading. Have any of you found any other clips bigger than a 10 shot for your Savage?
Old 05-03-2012, 07:20 PM
Keeper

i bought a hennery love it