Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video
Best barbless hooks and bait holders - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > Strictly Fishing

Old 05-06-2012, 03:09 AM
Keeper

Default Best barbless hooks and bait holders

What type of barbless hooks do you use for these applications.
1. Slip Bobbers
2. Crawler harnesses
3. Lindy (live bait) rigs

Also, what have you found works the best to hold your bait on a barbless hook? Pieces of rubber bands? Chunks of erasers? Super glue and duct tape?

It can be a challenge to keep fish/bait on when using single barbless hooks so I thought it would be interesting to see what you guys do to minimize lost bait/fish when fishing barbless.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-06-2012, 07:25 AM
Charter Member

Default Hey oilguy

I always fish barbless. Pinch down the barb on jigs with pliers and use a dremel tool to remove the barbs on crank baits before the trip. Rarely do we ever loose a fish because of a lack of barb.

Got religion twenty or more years ago when my buddy stuck a treble in his little pinky and we had to drive a half day back out for a little surgery. The barb was through the tendons and sinew of the finger.

I cut up plastic worms the are "used up". Cut them in cross sections about as thin as you can and slip them on the hook after you put on the bait. Probably about an eighth of an inch is about right. The Gulp type don't seem to work as well as they get "loose" on the hook, but real plastic stays on for quite a while or until it gets beat up.

I feel that little bit of color acts as sort of an attractor some times.

Pooch