Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video
Qestions about I-Pilot Link - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Electronics

Old 01-03-2013, 06:31 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillFishin View Post
I was also wondering if anyone offered the complete package-TM(55 in my case), various Humminbirds depth finder/gps, and the Lakemaster HD chip(MN in my case) plus necessary Ethernet cables.
YOu need them all to make the Ipilot Link work so you'd think everything would be offered as a package.

StillFishin'
Too many options to try to bundle them IMHO..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-03-2013, 06:47 AM
Wallhanger

I agree. Since i-Pilot Link will operate in conjunction with many Humminbird fish finders, either alone or as part of a multi-unit network, it may be challenging to stock a large number of complete, turn-key packages.

Keep in mind that running i-Pilot Link with a single Humminbird fish finder requires only that unit, the i-Pilot Link accessory installed on a compatible Minn Kota trolling motor, and a 2013 LakeMaster chip to enable the Follow the Contour feature. No other additional hardware is necessary for this minimalist setup.
Old 01-03-2013, 07:05 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Halfen View Post
I agree. Since i-Pilot Link will operate in conjunction with many Humminbird fish finders, either alone or as part of a multi-unit network, it may be challenging to stock a large number of complete, turn-key packages.

Keep in mind that running i-Pilot Link with a single Humminbird fish finder requires only that unit, the i-Pilot Link accessory installed on a compatible Minn Kota trolling motor, and a 2013 LakeMaster chip to enable the Follow the Contour feature. No other additional hardware is necessary for this minimalist setup.
Jason, Will all ofthe 2013 Lakemaster chips be for the Link, or are there another series that is for those without the original IPilot? I would guess that they all will be Link chips,but will work in the IPilot without Link.. correct?
Old 01-03-2013, 07:17 AM
Wallhanger

All of the 2013 LakeMaster chips will contain the data and coding necessary to enable the Follow the Contour feature of i-Pilot Link. They will work in any compatible Humminbird fish finder, regardless of whether or not that unit is connected to i-Pilot Link.
Old 01-03-2013, 07:35 AM
Minnow

Another question:

Suppose you has the I Pilot Link hooked up to a HB and the 2013 Lakemaster chip in and then you want to add an other HB unit. What do you have to buy besides a compatable HB unit?

StillFishin'
Old 01-03-2013, 07:39 AM
Wallhanger

Default Ethernet Switch

Quote:
Another question:

Suppose you has the I Pilot Link hooked up to a HB and the 2013 Lakemaster chip in and then you want to add an other HB unit. What do you have to buy besides a compatable HB unit?

StillFishin'
Assuming that both units are Ethernet capable, you would need to add an Ethernet switch and a couple Ethernet cables.

http://store.humminbird.com/products/519199/AS_ETH_5PS
Old 01-03-2013, 08:08 AM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Another question:

StillFishin'
You would need to add the 5-port ethernet hub, and adjust the networking among all of the units.

Rather than having i-Pilot Link run directly to one Humminbird fish finder, you would run ethernet cables from each unit and i-Pilot Link into the hub. Doing so will allow the units to share GPS, sonar (with some potential restrictions, depending on which units you're running), and control of i-Pilot Link.
Old 01-08-2013, 06:15 PM
Minnow

I have a question about the follow the contour option. I am picking up my new boat this spring(18.5' tiller). Is the hummingbird unit directing the terrova? I will be running a 958 from the tiller position and with the Puck and transducer 18ish feet from the terrova, I'm wondering if this is going to cause issues on semi sharp breaklines, especially in windy conditions? Thanks for any help..!
Old 01-08-2013, 09:25 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by stopher View Post
I have a question about the follow the contour option. I am picking up my new boat this spring(18.5' tiller). Is the hummingbird unit directing the terrova? I will be running a 958 from the tiller position and with the Puck and transducer 18ish feet from the terrova, I'm wondering if this is going to cause issues on semi sharp breaklines, especially in windy conditions? Thanks for any help..!
The i-Pilot Link control head in your Terrova has a GPS receiver; so does your 958c Humminbird fish finder. The way to think about how the Follow the Contour feature works is as follows:

1. You will select a contour line and direction to follow that contour using your Humminbird 958c loaded with a LakeMaster digital GPS map card (2013 or later).

2. The 958c will generate a set of GPS targets for your Terrova to follow, and transmit those targets by ethernet to the i-Pilot Link control head.

3. The i-Pilot Link system will hit those GPS targets, to the best of its ability, using the GPS receiver in the Terrova control head. The ability to hit the targets depends on prop speed, the sharpness of any contour turns, and environmental factors (wind, waves, current). In general, you will need to use enough prop speed to overcome any environmental obstacles in order for i-Pilot Link to successfully hit the GPS targets that are associated with the Follow the Contour feature.

So, you will use the 958c and its GPS receiver to select the contour, but that contour will be followed using the GPS receiver in the Terrova.

Make sense?

You can see this feature in action here:

http://www.jasonhalfenoutdoors.com/Link5.html
Old 01-09-2013, 06:45 AM
Wallhanger

Default when available?

JASON,

Any idea when the I link head only and the hand helds are going to be available to add on to the I pilot versions currently out there?

I am waiting for them to order .

Thanks in advance if u can help.

Mike

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Walleye Message Central forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.