Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video
Ball Mount (Can you put upside-down) - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Old 01-10-2005, 05:27 PM
Minnow

Default Ball Mount (Can you put upside-down)

Hi,

After the Body Shop put in a new bumper and hitch for me, the ball sits lower then it used to. Can't get the jack wheel to lock into place. The Ball Mount I have is angled at a 45 degree angle. The part where the ball mounts is still flat. That's just the design of the Ball Mount. Can I flip it upside down? That would give me the clearance I need. I'm just afraid the welds might break.

Thanks,

Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-10-2005, 05:40 PM
Wallhanger

Default RE: Ball Mount (Can you put upside-down)

Yea, flip it you should have no problem
Old 01-10-2005, 05:52 PM
Minnow

Yes you can you can turn your ball mount upside down-they are designed for that purpose.A good site to learn more about this is the Reece Hitches website.
Old 01-10-2005, 06:20 PM
Charter Member

mmacky,

Like the others said, the mount can be used either way. The thing to check is if the trailer sits level when hitched up. This will tell you if the hitch height is correct.

Tim
Old 01-10-2005, 07:10 PM
Wallhanger

If it still does't work there are several different lift/drop heights available.
Old 01-11-2005, 09:30 AM
Charter Member

I have flipped my ball mount over also but usually for a small trailer I am pulling for someone else.
The hitch I have is rated for 7000 lbs and I think if I was going that heavy I would get the right ball hitch and not turn it over.
Reeses hitches are a better hitch and ball mount than most and I have there stainless model which is very well made.
If I had went cheap aftermarket non name brand is when I would worry about a heavy load in the opposite way it was intended mostly because I have seen the ball mounts that are welded with a 45 degree angle and they do not look strong upside down.
Reeses ballmounts at least mine is welded at 90 degrees which doesnt change flipped over.

Pitts
Old 01-18-2005, 09:36 PM
Minnow

Folks,

Thanks for the input. I will probably get an adjustable ball mount. Pretty cheap when compared with the risk/cost of having the thing break.

Thanks again,

Mike
Old 01-19-2005, 08:30 AM
Wallhanger

Hi,
The Load rating is the same if you turn it upside down.Being at a 45 deg.angle gives you more weld.
Marc

May I be fishing somewhere Tomorrow
Old 01-21-2005, 11:53 AM
Charter Member

Take an ordinary piece of printer paper and grab both ends without a lot of wrinkel then pull until the paper gives in the center.

Now put thumb and fingers of both hands close together in the middle and pull at a 45 degree angle which will rip the paper in 2.
Which took more effort??
I'm not saying there is that much difference with a 45 on a hitch but it will make you think:)

Pitts
Old 01-21-2005, 12:11 PM
Wallhanger

Does a weld work upside down? Hey, just kidding! Unless it's a Russian trailer hitch ...

Some years ago a friend who worked in a chain saw shop said they had a Russian chain saw that would only run right side up. It quit if you tilted it. This must explain why Siberia still has pristine forests!

In that Russian carburetors don't work upside down, I suspect their welds don't work upside down, either. I do know their vodka bottles work upside down, though.