Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video
Which Portable Fish Locator? - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > General Discussion

Old 03-30-2006, 07:16 AM
Sidge

Default Which Portable Fish Locator?

Looking at buying a new portable fish locator and selling my older Eagle ID 6300. I have narrowed the choice down to the Eagle Fishmark 320 portable and the Hummingbird Fishfinder 535 portable. Both are priced about the same and have the same features. Just wondering which would be the better choice for me and why? It has to be portable!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-30-2006, 10:22 AM
Wallhanger

Default RE: Which Portable Fish Locator?

Sidge,
My son got a Eagle 320 earlier this year and we have been out a dozen times or so with it and for the money it does a great job. Im going to pick up one of the portable models to take to Canada and I believe it will do all I want to help find structure and keep me on fish.

Resolution is excellent and the sun screen makes viewing very easy. Hope this helps you make a decision although I have no experience with the Humminbird 535. I have had Humminbird units in the past and was pleased with them.

Good Luck, Mike Kansas
Old 03-30-2006, 02:47 PM
Charter Member

I have an old Humminbird 400 that still works well. Big thing with a portable is battery life. I have always gotten the best battery life with Duracell, but can't seem to find them anymore. I recently purchased 2 rechargeable 6v lattern batteries and hope they will give good service. Incidently, you can recharge them with your 6v charger for the Vexelar or I use the recharger for my roboduck batteries.
Old 03-30-2006, 06:42 PM
SS

You pay a lot for the case. Just another idea - A lot of guys get double duty out of the finder they use on their boat for fly-ins or ice fishing.

You make a box & buy a spare power cord, bracket, and puck transducer, suction cups are available as an access or mount the ducer on a board and c-clamp to transom (there are commercial versions too).

Battery - Cabelas sells 7 amp hr sealed 12 volts for ice fishing and cameras. Proper care and they last many yrs.

Good Luck,
SS

Old 03-30-2006, 07:38 PM
Slot Fish

you can buy factory seconds on the case for about 1/2 price from the hummin bird web site
Old 03-30-2006, 09:39 PM
Science Nerd un

I am not sure it would meet your needs but I was looking at a portable for portage lakes, canoe and ice fishing and had come to the conclusion that the Bottom Line Fishin Buddy would be a good unit to try. Doesn't seem to be the highest end stuff but should read depth and mark fish. I really like that its one box attached transducer with internal batteries, no cords. Is anyone using this unit for this purpose?

Nerdy
Old 03-31-2006, 03:01 PM
Minnow

I purchased the Eagle FishMark 320 portable pack from Cabela's a couple years ago. While I agree that you pay for the case, I think it is nice. I like the Eagle FishMark 320, however, if I were to buy today I would spend a bit more and get the Lowrance X125. Cabela's lists the Eagle 320 at $199.99 for the portable pack and the Lowrance X125 at $349.00. While that's a big price jump you are going from 320V x 320H resolution to 480V x 480H resolution. More importantly you are going from 1,500 watts peak-to-peak TO 2,400 watts peak-to peak with the Lowrance which will greatly enhance target separation.

Since your post indicated that you were only interested in the Eagle and Humminbird, I think I'd stick with the Eagle.