Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video
friday morn. Det. river report - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > Members Fishing Reports

Old 07-21-2002, 11:01 AM
Wallhanger

Default RE: friday morn. Det. river report

Hey Fatboy, in re-reading your post, are you talking about handlining with the wishbone rig, or chugging? I may have mis-understood your post. If your talking about handlining, you'll have to use the heavy line or wire, but again, WHEN you get hung up on the bottom, your probably not going to be able to react fast enough to unwind line from your wishbone, and you'll probably lose everything. Some of the Pro's are using the heavy, short Muskie poles, as I mentioned, and are pulling some pretty heavy weights, (since they outlawed handlining) up to a pound, so you may want to consider that.

JMTC

Johnp034
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-21-2002, 01:21 PM
Wallhanger

well i'll try to explain what i was told. - rig your shank as you do with a reel-use the same weight/leads etc. instead of wire use 130lb surf/trolling line(braided).use a 15 inch piece of 2 inch dowel(wood).cut a notch 1 1/2 inches deep at each end(v shape).tie line to it and wrap line end over end. when ready to fish let out enough line to hit bottom and then unwrapabout 10 ft extra and just wrap this around the round dowel. hold the dowel line set up over the side and bounce the weight just like you would bottom bouncing. if you get hung up just relax your hand and let the line freespool off the dowel(spin in your hand) until you get stopped. also i have tried the heavy short rod with the big penn reel-it works but most of the time at night im alone and those set ups need two hands.
Old 07-21-2002, 03:31 PM
Wallhanger

perchjerker thanks - got the gold cap on ebay 36.00
Old 07-22-2002, 08:18 AM
Minnow

Perchjerker,

Sorry it tood so long to get back. I caught those fish off peche island. I went saturday morning as well and got 8 very nice walleye an a 24lb musky. It was strange though, I didn't catch the first walleye until 9:00 am. I've landed a musky the last three times i've fished there. The handliners didn't seem to do as well the day I got 18.

JoeC.
Old 07-27-2002, 12:01 PM
Charter Member

Guys- been gone this week with the family, just got back in.

JoeC- thanks for the info.

Fatboy- glad you got that reel! That opening bid you saw was mine. Right after I bid on that, Johnp034 and I did some horse trading and I ended up with the same reel and a few goodies to go along with it, thats why I didnt bid anymore on it.

John- been doing fine, was up north this week doing the family thing and trying to figure out this little lake the cottage was on that the DNR has been stocking with walleye,(which I didnt know about until I started asking around, then I got all excited!! LOL) without much luck I might add...I guess I'm spoiled by the river and the big lake where the picking is easy!! LOL
Dad shot the little fellow.

Mary had a little pig.
Her father shot it dead.
Now it goes to school with her,
Between two hunks of bread.
Old 07-27-2002, 12:56 PM
Wallhanger

Perchjerker - where do you buy your mcginty's at ? went to likeside in farmington they had very few there. i did get one of the ones about 2 1/2 inches long that is hot pink with white dots. do you run them on your bottom lead ? thanks again for the tip on the goldcap(hope it shows up soon)
Old 07-27-2002, 01:26 PM
Charter Member

You can run them on either (or both) leads. They have a good supply of them at Bottom Line across from Lake Erie Metropark, I think Andys Tackle Box in Melvindale had them too since he caters to handliners.

Heres Bottom Line's webpage.

http://bottomlinetackle.tripod.com/
Dad shot the little fellow.

Mary had a little pig.
Her father shot it dead.
Now it goes to school with her,
Between two hunks of bread.
Old 07-28-2002, 06:37 PM
Wallhanger

fished sat. night trenton channel - nothing in the storms