Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video
Help with eyes in Central Basin - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > Members Fishing Reports

Old 07-23-2002, 12:12 PM
rw

Default Help with eyes in Central Basin

I'd appreciate any help from you experienced guys. I'm a lifelong perch guy just getting turned on to Walleyes and Steelheads. Went out yesterday and the day before for the first time and got one small walleye and four nice steelhead trolling with #1 dipsies (also 3 sheephead) got em between 115 and 125 back on a 0 setting. Did not get anything on the dipsies that were set on #3 at 150 feet back. Was using a spoon and deep diving crankbait off a 3-way swivel. Tried 60 feet and 70 feet (did better in 60 feet) due north of downtown Cleveland and trolled west. Think I may be trolling too fast, but unsure how to tell. GPS tells me I'm going between 1.5 and 4.0 knots. Speedometer unreliable at that slow speed. I just got a used 30 foot sportcraft and I ran it as slow as I could.

Is there a "season" in this area when the walleye fishing is more productive?

Is there another technique that is used in this area successfully to get walleyes. Everyone keeps telling me that trolling is the way to go.

Thanks alot.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-23-2002, 04:17 PM
Keeper

Default RE: Help with eyes in Central Basin

rw check the other posting on the board concerning the central basin.
Old 07-23-2002, 07:01 PM
Charter Member

rw,
You are probably going faster than you should for the walleyes. Most guys with larger boats pull trolling bags to slow them down.

Dipsy are best used with spoons, stick baits or harnesses. Deep diving lures cause too much drag on the back side of the Dipsy and don't work very well.

You'd be well advised to go out with an experienced troller or maybe book a learning charter to help jump start your catching.
My brother took out a group on a learning charter for Dipsys on the 12th. If you'd like to see what they thought of it go to http://www.boatohio.com/forums/DCForumID14/236.html#
the last few messages are unsoicited messages from them after the trip.

Ther are definately times and places when the bite is hottest. The fish (especially the big ones) are, for the most part, east of Cleveland now.

Good luck & good fishing.

Old 07-23-2002, 08:06 PM
Minnow

ETT is correct, lose the deep diver on the dipsy. Stick with small Stingers by themselves. Large Dipsy on #1 setting, 70 to 110' out, and 2 1/2 setting, 120 to 150' out with a 7' leader of 17lb. Vanish, has been working very well, at Ashtabula. 2.5 GPS, is the best for us, try small Stingers (day) Blueberry muffin, Frankenberry, Watermelon, (evening is the best time though) try PERCH on smooth GOLD, with 70' out and 120' out on above settings. Between 7:30pm and 10:00pm, find the high fish (20 to 40') and hold on.
Good luck......Stan

I support P.E.T.A.
People Eating Tasty Animals
Old 07-24-2002, 09:48 AM
Slot Fish

Ditto on the crankbaits behind dipsies. One of the manufactors of diving disks even states on their instructions that they are not recommended to be used with deep diving crank baits. The crank baits pull the back end of the disk down, reducing the effect of the disk. About your trolling speed, you might want to consider a prop change. That worked for me. I sacrificed some top speed (I can still do 36 mph WOT), but I can troll down nice and slow now, without using bags or a trolling plate (which is another option). To further reduce speed, put your trim tabs in the full down position, and over trim the outdrive while trolling (although with a 30 footer, you probably have an inboard, no outdrives). Also, while trolling, keep an eye on oil pressure, amps, and engine temp. If RPMs drop to low, the oil pressure and amps can drop too low, and the temp can rise. I found I can troll my mercruiser at a lower RPM than the manual recommends for idle. But you got to have a good impeller.
Old 07-24-2002, 10:26 AM
Minnow

rw,
I live in cleveland, drop me an email. I might be of some help.
johnnyg231@aol.com

Matt
Old 07-26-2002, 06:24 PM
rw

>rw,
>I live in cleveland, drop me an email. I might be of some
>help.
>johnnyg231@aol.com
>
>Matt

Thanks to all of you in the string. I appreciate the time.
Old 07-26-2002, 06:36 PM
rw

Thanks for the info guys. I guess I'll dump the deep diver.

Where do I get more info on the learning charter. I read the entries and it sounds like what I need.

rw
Old 07-27-2002, 02:45 AM
Charter Member

Call Rich Stedke @ 419 228 6576 (office number)

Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner.