Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video
FLW Championship.... Problem? - Page 11 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > Tournament Message Board

Old 09-28-2005, 03:28 PM
Charter Member

Default RE: FLW Championship.... Problem?

I think we are pretty much on the same page Kolby. I am just trying to make the point that if we blindly follow what they say it may be a case of the blind leading the blind. I may have a degree in journalism, but I did ace my college biology and conservation courses and I got a healthy dose of skepticism while doing it.;)

There are times when we need to be cheerleaders for the DNR and ther eare others when we need to hold their feet to the fire.

Here's something for you to follow up on... and it might be a good thing to send a writer out to do this story... Why did Iowa discontinue its stocking of saugeye in southern Iowa reservoirs? I asked this question of one biologist and I was told that they simply didn't do well. There must be more to the story than this.

Ohio has had remarkable success with saugeyes in reservoirs nearly identical to many of those in the southern 1/3 of Iowa. Saugeyes are a lot hardier, more aggressive, take warm water better, survive weigh-ins better and are easier to catch (IMHO) than walleyes. This is worth looking into. Maybe they made a premature decision to go back to stocking pure walleyes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-28-2005, 04:18 PM
Minnow

Many of you have said “no exceptions” and I agree with that when we are talking interior lakes and rivers. But here we are talking about boundary waters. I to would have preferred no exceptions in this case too. But when you are talking boundary waters we must come to agreement with our neighbors. It should not be three hocks on one side of the Mississippi and four hocks on the other side of the river. The Iowa DNR itself treats the Mississippi River (boundary water) different than its interior rivers and lakes. The Iowa DNR stocks walleye fingerlings into its interior lakes and rivers, but has a different policy for its boundary rivers. So these “no exceptions” is not practiced by the IDNR itself. The IDNR raises and stocks more fingerling for the Turkey or the Maquoketa River than it does for the Mississippi. The stocking of pool 14 comes from Quad Cities Spray Canal (The power plant south of Clinton on the Illinois side of the River) The IDNR may get some left over fingerling from the power plant and haul them to Pools 13 or even 12 for stocking. The IDNR does not raise and stock fingerlings for the Mississippi as it does for its interior rivers. If the Wisconsin DNR, Iowa DNR, Illinois DNR, and the US Fish and Wildlife could really work together on the Mississippi it could be the best Walleye fisheries around.
Old 09-28-2005, 09:00 PM
Finally

You request for all to call the state officials and urge them to work together makes the most sense out of any in this thread! So, who here is going to call their states people?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Walleye Message Central forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.