Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video
How long does fishing line last? - Page 2 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > Strictly Fishing

Old 04-15-2003, 07:58 AM
Line

Default RE: How long does fishing line last?

Actually the line will be stronger dry than it is when wet. Nylon absorbs water which then reduces the strength and increases the elongation.

Sunlight will degrade line but so will other conditions (automobile exhaust, gasoline fumes, etc.). As someone else said, why take the chance to save a few bucks. You never know when the big one is going to bite...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-15-2003, 01:33 PM
MK

OK, I just called Berkley who makes Trilene. Here is what customer service told me:

Shelf life of around 3 years, maybe a little more or less depending on the storage situation. Check it to see if its chalky or if the line is getting cloudy instead of transparent. If so, pitch it.

Mines been in a dark cabinet in the garage so I think I'll give it a try. In the future, I'll just buy enough for the year or two and not stock up if I see a special.
Old 04-15-2003, 09:42 PM
Charter Member

I would think that this post refers to mono line?

If you consider any of the braids, or super line, fireline, whiplash, or dacron line - the life of these lines are measured in 10s of years.
I know of dacron line that is 50 years old from one of my grand fathers old steel rod - and I took a scale to it, and it still held up to 50 lbs of force before breaking.

Mono - needs to be shielded from the sun. If it is kept in a cool dark place - the shelf life is measured in years.

As with any thing - if it breaks, throw it. If it doesn't break, use it.

Take care
REW