Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
FLW Walleye League - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > Tournament Message Board

Old 05-21-2007, 07:45 PM
Minnow

Default FLW Walleye League

I know the question has been asked before, " Why is it that Michigan can not fill a League Tournament." I would expect a state with as great of fishing as Michigan has, would be able to fill just one tournament!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-21-2007, 07:45 PM
Minnow

Default FLW Walleye League

I know the question has been asked before, " Why is it that Michigan can not fill a League Tournament." I would expect a state with as great of fishing as Michigan has, would be able to fill just one tournament!
Old 05-21-2007, 10:00 PM
N Seify

Default RE: FLW Walleye League

It's because there are so many tournament circuits around combined with an economy that is not doing very well. I've talked to a lot of guys about this topic and I think there is one solution to this. They should have a Michigan/Ohio division where the stops would be Saginaw Bay, Detroit River and Port Clinton. I think that would be a bigger draw. I hope the good people at the FLW don't give up on us(I wouldn't blame them if they did) I love the format, the new bigger payouts, and the chance to run with the big boys in the Tour Championship. I have been very surprised about the low turn out considering the changes that came about this year. Nate Seiferlein
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-22-2007, 04:34 AM
dpd

The numbers are up from last year. In 03 the average was 60 boats, 04 the average was 75, 05 - 65, 06 - 55, and so far in 07 it is 62. The word is really starting to get out. I agree with Nate, move the tournaments to were the fish are. Have the first one on the Detroit river. Try and have it the week before the Tour event. I know that Easter was a big reason that they were 2 weeks apart. Have the second one on Erie at the same time however move it to Port Clinton. Had Canada and Ohio been open most boats would have made a 30-40 mile run to the Islands. Port Clinton is only 10-15 miles. Have the last one up at the northern end of Saginaw bay or move it to Huron and make it a Lake Erie division.
Mostly we need to get the word out more.

Old 05-22-2007, 04:46 AM
Maybe

I'm not so sure that Erie is the answer. Look at what happens when the MWT goes there, the entry numbers drop.
There is one way to find out though... I'll be there.
Old 05-22-2007, 08:16 AM
gotigers

Gas prices have got to be part of the problem for all the low tournament entries. Also a lot of the guys that were tourney regulars are taking a break, having kids, or have moved onto other things. There are not enough newcomers to replace the ones leaving. Six years ago you could get into a tourney boat for about 25k, now you have to shell out 40k. Add gas prices and boat prices, along with a poor economy and lots of tourney choices... you are left with 60 boat tournaments.
Old 05-22-2007, 04:04 PM
Nacho Fish

As Nate said there is alot of tournaments in MI to choose from. Plus the economy stinks and the bodies of water are huge, driving higher costs for the competitors. I know friends of mine have refused to fish the entire league this year because of the launch locations and toll these will take on the pocket book and their equipment. Before the VHS restriction the Lake Erie event was going to involve a long run to be competitive, the top weight would of been caught in OH or Canada. The Saginaw Bay Event will most likely involve long runs on body of water that can turn to a nightmare in minutes. One tournament every other year on Saginaw Bay out of Au Gres would be enough for some. Linwood is just not a good location most of the tournament season and we keep going back.

I believe the MWT gets fuller fields because their customer base is broader. There isn't a restriction on boat size or HP as there is on the FLW. This is most likely due to the format being team vs. pro/co. It's fine if a MWT wants to use whatever rig they want, but wouldn't be fair for the FLW Boater to have something that limits him and his co-anglers competitivenes. Also the FLW is largely sponsored by boat and outboard manufactures so there is a great incentitive/obligation to promote those type of products.

As far as the MWT not showing up to Erie events, you have to expect that to some extent. As the MWT is largely a Saginaw Bay Walleye Club tour. Some of the MWT guys may not be interested in Erie as such.
Old 05-27-2007, 01:51 PM
Minnow

I am one of the regulars that decided not to fish this year with several of my friends. Money was in large part a consideration, entry fees went up and now gas is on the rise. With that being said I don't see me or some others that didn't fish this year entering too many next year either.

Locations were fine, format was fine, just comes down to money.

Dan
Old 05-29-2007, 01:44 PM
bradley894

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ IS THE KEY. look if you have to run thirty miles or more to compete, few will enter.. none of these tournaments are cost effective. the guys who spend more may or not win more but if they do win. more $ its gone at the end of the day one way or another.. keep the runs short. entry down.. make it a points race with big pay at the end.. i know about 10 guys that fished the pwt 8 years ago in 17 foot boats. run 30 miles in 6 footers? for what? not enough pay out.. broaken too much stuff to fall for that old gig. i love competion , do well when i do play, you have to crack the top 5 in any cercuit to break even as of now.. and with the price of gas i think we are getting close to cracking the top three. so if you can afford it rock and roll.. if not ,, recognize its like racing or any other hobbie... FOR A CHOICE FIEW! ITS A LIVING AND HARD WORK ! FOR THE REST THEY CAN HAVE ALL THE STICKERS ON THERE BOAT AND TRUCK THAT THEY WANT ... ITS A HOBBIE , IDMIT TO IT OR NOT. THERE CHOICE.. but one things for sure , its a dream we all share. see you out there