Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Live bait packing - Do you....? - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Canada Eh? > Canada

Old 03-27-2012, 11:38 AM
Minnow

Default Live bait packing - Do you....?

Hey guys, my sons & I are headed up to Canada to fish in May/June and I plan to fish with nightcrawlers and leeches. I will likely fish with minnows too but I can buy them at the lodge. I would like to save some money by bringing in my own nightcrawlers and leeches. Typically, do you find it easier to buy your bait at the lodge or do you pack it in? Do you take those large worm farms? Do you buy your bait in the US or Canada? I would like to see some best practices here.....Thanks!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-27-2012, 12:17 PM
Charter Member

It's not legal to bring leeches with you crossing into Canada. Nightcrawlers are fine as long as they are packed in artificial bedding.
Old 03-27-2012, 12:33 PM
Minnow

If you go through the Twin Cities, you can stop at Vados Bait. It offers a Canadian Pack in different sizes. They are foam boxes in various sizes and filled with artificial bedding and nightcrawlers in specified amounts. A small jell pack wrapped in newspaper is placed in with the worms. When I fish I take one or two other jell packs to freeze and swap out with the one in the box. The crawlers are in good condition and have a way of getting out (I don't know how). You can do a Google search for Vado's bait for an address, etc. You can also check with Cabela's on nightcrawlers to Canada.

Gary
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-27-2012, 01:56 PM
Wallhanger

Default Vado's Bait recommendation

FWIW I highly recommend Vado's Bait for night crawlers. They have 1/2 flats and full flats packed for Canada.

1/2 flat=20dozen crawlers
Full flat=40 dozen crawlers

You can call ahead and save time picking up the crawlers or even have them shipped to your house.

http://www.vadosbait.com/

2019 Skeeter WX1910
Old 03-27-2012, 03:53 PM
Wallhanger

x 3 on Vados. Or, another on line source is Knutson's Live Bait at http://www.knutsonlivebait.com/. I have had very good results with both. They'll FedEx or UPS the crawlers to your door for arrival the day before you leave. . . . excellent product from both, and they're packed in foam containers and in bedding so they're ready for entry into Canada. Take note of the earlier suggestion about taking along several freeze packs to keep in the cabin freezer so you can swap one out each day.

P.S. Don't leave the container of crawlers outside or under the cabin over night. They'll make a banquet for the neighborhood raccoons or skunks. . . . been there, done that.
Old 03-27-2012, 05:25 PM
Wallhanger

Not to take business from a local guy (Vados) but if you go thru I Falls, there's a baitshop behind the Holiday station that also sells Canadian packed crawlers.
Old 03-28-2012, 06:58 AM
Minnow

Thanks for the comments. I like the flat ideas. I will be coming through Sault Ste Marie so if there are any local bait stores along the way that can provide flats to me, let me know and I will give them my business.
Old 03-28-2012, 09:04 AM
Keeper

My uncle is in charge of the crawlers and always gets them through cabelas I believe. He then repacks them in artificial bedding. They ship right to his hous.....always good and lively for the week.....worth checking out
Old 03-28-2012, 09:08 AM
Slot Fish

We usually stop at The Trading Post in Sault Ste. Marie, ON. 1332 Great Northern Road (Rt. 17 N) on the road out of town headed to Wawa. 705-759-4518. I call about 2 weeks ahead of time and they have them ready. Costs a few $ more than Cabelas, but a very simple process.
Old 03-28-2012, 10:58 AM
Keeper

I have been buying 2 flats a year for a long time. Tried these guys last year and I was very pleased. Good price, prompt delivery, and good quality.
http://www.speedyworm.com/canadian.htm