Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Illinois River update - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Walleye Message Central > Members Fishing Reports

Old 12-04-1999, 10:12 PM
Minnow

Default Illinois River update

I got up at 6:00 Saturday morning to head down to the Illinois River a 90 minute drive south from my home. I open the garage door to dense fog,could'nt see the end of my driveway,loaded up my Ranger,and my lab Brandy and headed out.I take 39 south a 4 lane interstate and once going had a 1/4 mile visability,but still made good time.
The first stop was at Buster Cajuns bait shop,Utica for some up to date info on the river(which I have always found to be reliable)and 3 dozen fat head minnows. Buster told me the fish had pretty well moved up and were spread out in the deeper holes, and that a lot of fish where being taken by vertical jigging,and 3 way river rigs.
I decided to put in at the Spring Valley boat ramp and head to a few holes down river that I know. I rigged up 2 poles with 3 way rigs,1/2 ounce jigs with twisters,tales pulled off,and a stinger hook,one of the rods had a red hook and bead,the other a phelps floater on the drop back. The hole I was in is about a 1/2 mile long,so I went to the bottom of the hole and started working up river useing the trolling motor, running just fast enough to bounce the jigs along the bottom. I had coverd 2/3s of this hole when I caught my first fish a 17" sauger on the jig in 15' of water. I started working the 12 to 18' break and started seeing bait fish light up the flasher. The next fish was a beautiful 31/2# female that I released.I worked the upper halve of the hole catching 17 fish most of the day. The bigger fish all came on the jig, and the medium to small hit the hook and bead trailer(the best bite was 12 to 2)hook.
The day was a good day to be on water,no wind,overcast 50 degree Dec day,saw 2 Eagles,lots of ducks, even caught some fish,and nothing broke, the dog even enjoyed it, just a good day to be alive.
Feel the tug...Redrnger
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-05-1999, 09:56 AM
Wallhanger

Default Thanks for the update!

The Illinois River is an awesome fishery. You are right about Buster's (Cajun Bait Shop), always good bait and good info. I am curious to know how far down from Spring Valley you were - Clam Beds, Hennepin, Senachewein...? I will say that I am fishing the tournament next weekend and will not be able to pre-fish (my wife gave birth to a beautiful daughter a week ago and I am on baby duty!) Anyway if you want to share any info, I would really appreciate it. If you are fishing the tournament and don't want to share this info I completely understand. You can e-mail me at kjhawley@dellnet.com.

Best Regards,

FJH
Old 12-05-1999, 07:25 PM
Slot Fish

Default SpringValley

Man o' man I sure wanted to be there on Sat. I'm not a big fan of fishing by yourself and my girlfriend who always goes with me and fishes all my club tournaments really had her heart set on x-mas shopping with me so I gave in. All day I kept on looking at the sky saying what a great day it was to Walleye fish. Now you guys have to rub it by catching fish.

Sounds like Red Ranger was at the clam beds..just a guess. p.s. Red Ranger thanks for the battery compartment info.
Old 12-06-1999, 10:51 AM
Minnow

Default Illinois River

Excellent report Redranger. Sorry I was busy. Hope it wont be too cold for ya next Sunday!!!