Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
replacing 4 stroke 9.9 kicker - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Motors and Props

Old 07-23-2014, 11:03 AM
Keeper

Smile replacing 4 stroke 9.9 kicker

My 1996 Merc 9.9 finally gave up after 4,768 hours. I have several leads on Big Foot (.( in my area with very few hours (less than 100) for sale in the $1,500-$1,800 range. These are electric start long shafts.

Do you think this is the going rate for a like new engine? One actually is a 15 HP and the other a 9.9 both 2005 vintage. I don't need tilt and trim or tiller either. Will be transfering my TR-1 Gold onto new motor.

I could go with a Yammie as well although this Merc certainly has earned it's spot on the transom.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-24-2014, 05:27 AM
Charter Member

The price used is pretty dependent on features like electric start, and tilt/trim. With electric start, no tilt, it's probably in that area.

I don't believe there is a low pitched prop available for the big foot model in the merc lineup - so you'll be stuck with a 9 pitch prop - which may troll faster than you want to go. The standard 4 stroke merc had a 6 pitch, 4 blade prop available, but not the big foot.

I'll encourage you to consider one of the motors designed to be a kicker motor. The mounts on them are much beefier, hold up better, and rattle less as the hours and pounding are put on them. I had a 99 four stroke, the mounts on that motor were really loosening up with all the time that motor spent on the back of a boat. Next kicker was the Merc Pro Kicker - which is a huge upgrade in the durability of the mounts. 5 years with the pro kicker, and it's just as tight as it was when new.
Old 07-24-2014, 05:36 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burr View Post

I don't believe there is a low pitched prop available for the big foot model in the merc lineup - so you'll be stuck with a 9 pitch prop - which may troll faster than you want to go. The standard 4 stroke merc had a 6 pitch, 4 blade prop available, but not the big foot.
Isn't the BigFoot gearcase the same as used on the ProKicker, for the 2005 he's looking at?

http://www.mertenmarine.com/servlet/...ker/Categories

HRG
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-24-2014, 08:26 AM
Wallhanger

Just Curious...how old is your TR-1?
Old 07-24-2014, 10:06 AM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt. spanky View Post
My 1996 Merc 9.9 finally gave up after 4,768 hours. .
Just curious how you kept track of those hours - independent hour meter?
Old 07-24-2014, 03:08 PM
Keeper

Smile hours and age of TR-1

I have a separate tach and hour meter on the kicker. Without digging for the receipt I would estimate the
the TR-1 to be about 10 years old. I bought it from Nautamatic before Garmin was involved.The motor and auto pilot have stood up beyond any expectation. The TR-1 pump and all components are still original from day one and never has needed service!
Old 07-24-2014, 05:50 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Runr Guy View Post
Isn't the BigFoot gearcase the same as used on the ProKicker, for the 2005 he's looking at?

http://www.mertenmarine.com/servlet/...ker/Categories

HRG
You may have a point - I don't know the answer to that. Prior to the Pro Kicker - when people wanted to slow down their trolling speed, it was discussed a lot. The big foot used a different prop than the standard 9.9. Lots of people - including me, purchased the 6 pitch 4 blade prop for the standard 9.9, and everyone that had a big foot did not have an option for a lower pitched prop.

Then the pro kicker came out - and since it came with a 6 pitch prop - the discussion kind of ceased to exist. I didn't ever hear anyone say if the pro-kicker prop would work on bigfoot? But I never asked either.
Old 07-25-2014, 05:49 AM
Wallhanger

I had a 2006 bigfoot and a 2010 pro. They had the same pitch prop. Sold the 06 for the used 10 last year because it was a mistake on my part to save a few bucks when I bought my new boat in 06. You may be sorry if you get a bigfoot over a prokicker. I did have bracket issues. The pin that holds the motor in the up position would break when the motor would bounce in choppy water. Easy to repair but a PIA.