Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
New trim tabs report - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Boats

Old 02-24-2012, 04:14 PM
Keeper

Default New trim tabs report

Well I got out on the water today for the first time since installing the trim tabs on my 185 aluma tourny pro... and WOW. I am impressed.

First of all bow rise on holeshot is virtually non existant.

Plane speed? Well, the boat does not want to actually drop off plane untill under 10 mph! It's odd almost like the angle off the whold keel is so parallel to the water that it really stays on top. At first I couldn't believe it so i walked around the boat and looked at the waterline on the side of the boat and the best way I can think to descibe it is that the tabs hold the back of the boat up enough that it just wont "sit down" in the water untill about 8mph.... Now I would say it's plowing a lot of water between 8-11 but by 12mph it's on plane.... Really impressive. Also I had 40 gallons in the fuel tank... This will make navigating really big waves a breeze. Just stand at the helm and meander along @10mph!

Next....speed. Well I'll keep that simpe, without 46 with 51.....enough said.

I also got the pro troller version (the main reason I got them was to troll slow) Ane they delivered there too. dropped me from low 3's to low 2's mph. I also think you could run one down and land in the high 2's. This is with my 200 honda and a powertech ofx19 3blade.

I only had about an hour on the water, but I can't wait to get more experience with these things. I would recomend them to anyone. Last note, I didn't like the idea of putting so many holes in the transom but only the top hinge plate screws are in wood, all the bottom screws are below the wood and if they leak it will seep down to the bilge. I had the transom/motorwell shot with line-x yesterday and so nothing can leak and get rotten anyway..... but that's for another tread.
Advertisement

Old 02-24-2012, 05:19 PM
Charter Member

Nose,
I agree that trim tabs can make a huge difference.
May I ask as to the particular set of trim tabs installed by make and model?

Thanks much
REW
Old 02-24-2012, 08:21 PM
Wallhanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by REW View Post
Nose,

Thanks much
REW

if he has the pro troller model they are more than likely Nauticus

http://www.nauticusinc.com/nauticus_pro_troller.html
Advertisement

Old 02-24-2012, 09:40 PM
Keeper

Love my nauticus tabs. The owner answered the phone and answered all of my questions.

TB
Old 02-25-2012, 05:53 AM
Slot Fish

I agree, had them on a Lund Baron I/O. Can't say that they improved top end speed but it did improve the ride. Nauticus is great to deal with.
Old 02-25-2012, 04:43 PM
Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by REW View Post
Nose,

Thanks much
REW

SX-9510-60 with optional troller brackets
Old 02-25-2012, 08:54 PM
Charter Member

http://www.nauticusinc.com/pdf/application_chart.pdf

http://www.nauticusinc.com/smart_tabsSX.htm

http://www.nauticusinc.com/images/SX-INSTALL.gif
Old 02-25-2012, 08:57 PM
Charter Member

Nosebleed,
Are you sure about your top end speed gettng better with the tabs?
I have never heard of any boat having a better top speed with any brand trim tab. I also have these tabs and find that the speed stays the same, but has never gotten better.

Basically, any trim tab is going to add drag. So, if the boat is going flat out, any tab that gets dropped at all into the water is going to slow the boat - unless the motor was not properly trimmed, so that the tabs helped to trim out the boat.

Take care
REW
Old 02-25-2012, 11:09 PM
Keeper

This may be a stupid question...are they electric? Or are they fixed position then you go back there and drop them for trolling?
Old 02-26-2012, 06:08 AM
Charter Member

Drag,
Go to the Nauticus.com web page and the page does an excellent explanation of their trim tabs.

Simply put, this company uses a gas spring shock - very similar that is used on the lift gates and or hoods of various vehicles.

The idea is that the gas shock pressure keeps the tab deployed when the boat is standing still. Then, as the boat begins to accelerate and the tabs begin to feel pressure from the water, they will begin to retract. At full throttle, the water pressure will keep the tabs fully retracted - but still functional.

So, these tabs work much like an automobiles shock absorbers.

----------
Think what happens to the typical boat that is cruising on smooth water and encounters a single boat wake in their path. As the boat crosses the single wave, the boat noses up and then comes down, but it will continue to bounce for several oscillations - until the force from the wave has been dissipated.
In contrast, when you have the gas shock tabs on your boat, the tabs function as a shock absorber for your boat. As the boat noses up, the tabs go to the fully retracted position, but as the boats nose drops after the wave, the trim tab presses down, and tends to keep the boats nose from coming back up. So, essentially you have one small bounce after a wave, rather than a continuing series of bumps. In other words these are essentially "full time automated" trim tabs.

For this reason, it is very important that you work with the company to
obtain the exact correct trim tab and gas shock. If the gas shock is too heavy or the trim tab too large, it can actually cause the boat to lose performance.

Conversely, if the tab is too small or the shock too light, the trim tab will not be as effective as it could be.

The company will bend over back wards to insure that the tab that you select for your particular rig is the correct one.

Good luck
REW