Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
Clam patches...anyone use them? - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Ice Fishing - Mainly a winter sport > Ice Fishing

Old 12-03-2014, 08:42 AM
Wallhanger

Default Clam patches...anyone use them?

I have a self-inflicted heater hole in my Clam flip and got the patches from Clam.

I'd like to try the spray adhesive method to attach and just wondering if anyone has done this and may have any tips? It is on a nice flat area with no seams.

Did it hold up? I have the 3M Hi-strength spray (#90)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-03-2014, 12:07 PM
Charter Member

I did a Clam patch about 5 years ago. It was still holding when I sold the Yukon last year.
I put a 2' x 4' piece of plywood on saw horses, layed the canvas on it so the area to patch was flat, then applied the patch with 3M 77 adhesive. I put a piece of wood over the patch then put a couple of bricks on it to weigh it down. I let it set for 2 days and never had any problems.
Old 12-03-2014, 02:48 PM
Keeper

Never used a clam patch before. But one year the mice got a little hungry and did a number on my canvas craft house.

I bought iron on patches from Joan fabric (very cheap $$). They are not sticky at all. You cut and lay them over the area to be patched, and then apply a hot iron to them. I just put a little news paper over the patch and between the iron for a few seconds.

They have held good for the past 5 years or so.
Humminbird 1199, 1159, 859 and Helix 7g2n
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-04-2014, 07:08 AM
Wallhanger

Put the patches on last night...they look good. Did a few smaller ones on each side also where there was some wore areas looking pretty thin.

I learned to spray the patches first, let them set for a few minutes, then spray the tent. Staggering the spraying got the same tackiness on each before applying.

Also, when checking the tackiness, use your knuckle and do it in the center of the patch. If you do it on the edge and it is not ready, the glue will stick to your knuckle and leave a bare spot on the patch. You don't want that bare spot on the edge.