Home   |  Message Board   |  Information   |  Classifieds   |  Features   |  Video  |  Boat Reviews  |  Boat DIY
prop installation Yamaha 115 - Walleye Message Central
Walleye Message Central

Go Back   Walleye Message Central > Boats, Motors, Electronics and Trailers > Walleye Boats and Motors

Old 11-01-2004, 01:14 PM
bouncer

Default prop installation Yamaha 115

Some assembly required.Took my rig to an OMC dealer last year for winterizing and storage.My Yamaha factory prop was damaged so I asked the dealer to replace the prop.I removed the Omc prop to inspect the prop shaft and seals etc. before winterizing.The OMC prop had a sleeve,spacer, washer and nut.I next attempted to remove the thrust washer but it will not budge.I will probably have to use a gear puller to get the thrust washer off.The thrust washer probably is not doing its job if it is not free to move? I installed the Yamaha prop and then according to my owners manual I should have room to install a spacer (brass) followed by a washer and finally the prop nut and cotter pin.After sliding the prop on the shaft I only had room to install the washer and nut.The washer appears to be stainless steel and is about 1/2 inch thick.Is this washer actually the spacer? Hoping any of you guys running Yammies can clear things up for me.
Old 11-01-2004, 01:21 PM
Charter Member

Default RE: prop installation Yamaha 115

This picture show what should go behind the prop. There is another spacer on the front of the prop that looks like the one in this picture.

http://www.pws9.com/Merchant2/mercha...G5-W4599-00-00

"Each time a man stands up for an ideal, or acts to improve the lot of others, or strikes out against injustice, he sends forth a tiny ripple of hope, and crossing each other from a million different centers of energy and daring, those ripples build a current which can sweep down the mightiest walls of oppression and resistance."

— Robert F. Kennedy
Old 11-01-2004, 07:08 PM
Charter Member

You may have made the same mistake that a friend and I made on the first removal of the prop from his F-115.
When we removed the prop from the motor, the thrust washer stayed imbedded in the back of the prop.

Thus, when we went to put on the prop; we had the exact reverse of what you found -- i.e. too much slop on the prop.

Good luck in your endeavors -- Joe has a good picture of what you should be working with.
Take care
REW
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-02-2004, 10:19 AM
bouncer

Thanks guys, Joe I remember reading somewhere that you have over 150 hours on your new rig,that sounds like a good season in my books.Just one more question regarding the thrust washer,does the shoulder of the thrust washer face outwards or should it face towards the gear seal side?
Old 11-02-2004, 11:23 AM
Charter Member

The washer should fit flush with prop housing. Actually, she has 174 hours on it now, and the season is only half over. I usually get 220-240 hours a year. The winter months are a little less time on the water.

"Each time a man stands up for an ideal, or acts to improve the lot of others, or strikes out against injustice, he sends forth a tiny ripple of hope, and crossing each other from a million different centers of energy and daring, those ripples build a current which can sweep down the mightiest walls of oppression and resistance."

— Robert F. Kennedy
Old 11-02-2004, 11:31 AM
Unlogged T-Mac

Look at the center opening of the thrust washer. One end will be tapered to slide onto the tapered shaft....that is the side that goes in..... toward gears.

REW mentioned the thrust washer sticking inside the prop.
Yes it happens and is really common. Make sure that didn't happen.

Stock Yamaha prop installed on a stock Yamaha shaft goes like so:

Thrust washer,-> prop,-> thick flat washer(W/grooves and lands),-> narrow flat washer, ->nut, ->cotter pin.
Old 11-02-2004, 08:19 PM
Keeper

You will know when you have the right combinaton of washers when the cotter pin hole is aligned in the center of any one of the slots in the prop nut after the nut is tightened to spec at 40 ft-lbs of torque. I have run Michigan and Yamaha props and they each have different washer configurations. But, the cotter pin hole location is constant.
MDT
Old 11-03-2004, 03:11 PM
Charter Member

The thrust washer stuck on the shaft is common, put a wrench or something behind it and pry a little and it will pop off, its not supposed to spin on the shaft.